Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The simplest delicious nutritious meals?

1. Mar 16, 2008 #1

tgt

The simplest nutritious meal that is also delicious I can think of is mix a variety of breads in an instant soup mix. The result is a porriage like mix with different flavours depending on the soup. I can imagine adding some salami or what not into this mix.
    Only preparation involved is to chop the bread and add bioling water.

What can you think of?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2008 #2

wolram

Gold Member

Can there be such a person as a deranged chain gang cook?

4. Mar 16, 2008 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm trying to figure out how this is a nutritious meal when it involves an instant soup mix. Those are mostly salt with some added artificial colors and flavors. Do they contain anything resembling actual soup other than the water you add? But, I suspect this is why we have so many unhealthy people in the US, because somehow they've grown to believe things like packets of soup mix are nutritious foods.

5. Mar 16, 2008 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Really! It doesn't take a whole lot of work to chop some vegetables, maybe brown some ground meat with onions and garlic, and make your own soup from scratch. It's far more nutritious than processed foods, and it can be cheaper, as well.

I have a cousin who is so absolutely lazy in the kitchen that she practically raised her kids on instant soups, cup o' noodles, Kraft macaroni and cheese, hamburger helper, etc. Her daughter is in fair health, but both her sons are overweight and out of shape, and one has Crohn's disease.

6. Mar 16, 2008 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I agree with Moonbear and turbo - nix the instant soup which has too much salt.

Fresh vegetables and fruit are the way to go. Using onions, carrots, celery, as much as possible fresh peas, corn, beans, and other vegetable is the way to go. Add in some lean chicken, beef, pork or fish for protein.

For desert, eat fresh fruit.

7. Mar 16, 2008 #6
    Boiled chicken + brown rice + veggies on the side.

Your standard bodybuilder diet.

8. Mar 16, 2008 #7

tgt

Can something that dosen't taste salty have too much salt in them? Plus it might be a good thing for summer eating as sports drinks contain salt in them.

9. Mar 16, 2008 #8
    The really bad part about eating really salty foods, is that you get use to the taste. You come to think of it as normal. Unless you really work out, your normal intake of salt can be met with just plain good food.

10. Mar 16, 2008 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11. Mar 16, 2008 #10

tgt

The soup is only meant to make the meal bearable. Otherwise, it would be just plain bread. Note there is no butter or anything else on the bread.

12. Mar 16, 2008 #11

turbo

Gold Member

Get some mayonnaise, tomatoes, lettuce, and maybe some cheese and make sandwiches. Combining bread with salty over-processed instant soup does nothing for you, nutritionally. You are at risk for destroying your health unless you learn to prepare food that is fit to eat.

13. Mar 16, 2008 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Spaghetti, with salad.

Grilled salmon with rice pilaf.

Red beans and rice (I've got a big pot going right now!), with salad.

Arroz con pollo.

Baked chicken and mashed potatoes, with fresh peas or green beans.

I could go on and on....

For good nutrition, it's best to cook from scratch. Then you know what exactly what you're eating.

14. Mar 16, 2008 #13

turbo

Gold Member

Many people seem to have forgotten this, Lisa. When I was in college (1970 on, OK I'm an old fart) I cooked for myself every day and made big enough batches to have left-overs. I'd make lentil soup, baked beans, breads, biscuits, spaghetti, New England boiled dinners, etc, etc. When times were lean, lentil soup with celery and onions, pea soup with the same and maybe a bit of ham shoulder or salt pork, would be staples, along with whole-wheat bread and other basics. There were two very pretty young ladies in an apartment across the street from me, and we became friends. I'd invite them for supper every week or two and they would bring HUGE appetites (for such svelte ladies) and bring a bottle or two of wine and some albums to play on my stereo. They had grown up with stay-at-home mothers who had no idea how to cook, and they thought I was a magic chef.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  15. Mar 16, 2008 #14
    So easy to make a quick healthy meal.

Stab a sweet potato a bunch of times with a fork and cook it in the microwave for 10-12 minutes

Marinate some chicken breast in olive oil and spice with w/ salt, pepper, and any other spices that you want. Cook on grill for 10 minutes.

Eat salad or mixed fruit bowl.

16. Mar 16, 2008 #15
    astro is right, vegetables and fruits.

My teacher's mother was 101 years old when she died. She said, "I'm eating fresh vegetables everyday. I avoid eating meat."

....:uhh:

17. Mar 16, 2008 #16

tgt

The instant soup I am talking about is soup powder, not the ones from cans.

You think I can destroy my health by having two packets (which in turn translates to two meals after adding bread. The third meal is something proper) of instand soup a day? How is my health doing to decline?

Some people drink those soup as if drinking water.

18. Mar 16, 2008 #17

tgt

You are a genuis aren't you.

19. Mar 16, 2008 #18

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Bread is not a nutritionally balanced food, it's considered a starch. You need vegetables and fruits.

20. Mar 16, 2008 #19

turbo

Gold Member

I am not a genius. I am a person who managed to cook for myself and keep myself healthy throughout a period during which I could have let my diet decline. You are welcome to do as you wish.

21. Mar 16, 2008 #20

tgt

I was referring to the latter part of your previous post - your social awareness. I actually know how to cook but just too lazy to do it. Although I am more inspired to do so now.

I still don't see how instant soup can damage my health. I am actually looking to lose some weight at the moment so these plain meals will do me good?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?