The simplest delicious nutritious meals?

• Thread starter tgt
  • Start date
In summary: Lisa. When I was in college (1970 on, OK I'm an old fart) I cooked for myself every day and made big enough batches to have left-overs. I'd make lentil soup, baked beans, breads, biscuits, spaghetti, New England boiled dinners, etc, etc. When times were lean, lentil soup with celery and onions, pea soup with the same and maybe a bit of ham shoulder or salt pork, would be staples, along with whole-wheat bread and other basics. There were two very pretty young ladies in an apartment across the street from me, and we became friends.
lisab said:
I do insist that she takes vitamins daily to get B-12, and of course I've taught her to combine legumes, rice, and corn to get a complete protein. Are there any other nutrients that are especially hard to get on a vegan diet?

B-12 is the big one that comes to mind, and combining vegetables to ensure complete proteins is the other, so you're covered on that. Particularly for a female, she should pay attention to iron too. That's easy to get from meats, but you need to pay more attention to it with a vegan diet (you can get iron in a vegan diet, but it takes some care) or take an iron supplement (unless it's already in the multvitamin you're insisting she take).

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the reasoning behind a vegan diet? It's not healthy, it's not normal, basically you can become very ill on a vegan diet without taking supplements, which would be healthier coming naturally from food. :confused:

Vegetarian can be a very healthy diet, why not just be vegetarian?

Evo, that's an enormous question that some people could write entire books trying to explain. Let's try to keep the thread on topic -- though I'm not sure what "on topic" means here anymore. :rofl:

- Warren

tgt: From reading your posts and responses, it sounds to me like you have an eating disorder, and that you probably do not need to lose weight. What is your height and weight, if you don't mind me asking?

Moonbear said:
Why would being an expert on birds make one qualified to judge a book on nutrition? Sounds like yet another gimmick diet book to make the author rich.

I wouldn't say anyone is getting rich off his material. Everything that was in his book is available on his website, and it's all free.

I've never tried just taking supplements, I guess because in every physical I have ever had... or blood work that has been done on me, nothing was ever flagged. But then again, do they look for things like that during the blood work?

I've tried taking vitamin supplements and all they did was make me sick, I was told by my doctor that that happens when you get an overabundance of vitamins. I can't even take vitamin C tablets because it makes me nauseous. I've heard that it is very hard to OD on those things too.

At the time I was drinking a gallon of whole milk every 2 days and eating at least 2 square meals a day too lol... wow... a lot has changed!

eieio said:
tgt: From reading your posts and responses, it sounds to me like you have an eating disorder, and that you probably do not need to lose weight. What is your height and weight, if you don't mind me asking?

No, I just like food. Have a lot of intuition and feel for them whatever that means.

I do accept that soup and bread meals are lacking in nutrients.

Vegan diets also lack nutrients but people recommend taking vitamins and supplements.

What about this idea:
Say you have a packet of instant soup labelled: Chicken and vegetables
How about putting the essential chemicals of chicken and vegetables inside this packet?

Same goes for example: tomato and bacon.

Wouldn't that make the person with a soup and bread diet better nutritionally?

Now I ask, what is the difference between eating real chicken and vegetables versus this instant packet of soup with chicken and vegetable chemicals?

I'm not exactly sure what a vegetable chemical is, but I do know that I would rather drink a glass of salt water than half a glass of hydrochloric acid and half a glass of Sodium Hydroxide even though they are made of the exact same "chemicals".
The thing you want to watch for when eating chicken chemicals is which part of the chicken the chemical came from. Some of the less expensive soup mix is made with beak crystals, and I don't have to tell you what will happen if you eat too much of this. I know that Canada and either Rhode Island or Wyoming have made it illegal for anything with more than 6% mammal chemical to be labeled as chicken chemical. Of course they say nothing about artificial chicken chemical.

Evo said:
What is the reasoning behind a vegan diet? It's not healthy, it's not normal, basically you can become very ill on a vegan diet without taking supplements, which would be healthier coming naturally from food. :confused:

Vegetarian can be a very healthy diet, why not just be vegetarian?

Since we don't allow religious discussion here, we probably shouldn't discuss veganism. I'm pretty sure it's more religion than anything else the way it attracts followers who have this need to evangelize to others about their beliefs.

Moonbear said:
Since we don't allow religious discussion here, we probably shouldn't discuss veganism. I'm pretty sure it's more religion than anything else the way it attracts followers who have this need to evangelize to others about their beliefs.

My daughter's vegan, and she's athiest (like me). There are many drivers for her decision, but religion isn't one of them. Mostly, it's that she abhors animal cruelty the way I hate bullies.

And she knows that milk cows and laying hens are sent to the slaughter house after they no longer produce, so she won't support eating eggs or dairy.

However, we used to have a few laying hens, and she would eat their eggs. She knew that after our "ladies" stopped laying (technical term: henopause), they were free to live out their lives pecking and scratching. They were wonderful pets.

As far as evangelizing, she's passionate about it but will talk about it only if you bring it up. But she'd never be in-your-face about it.

Moonbear said:

I'd be careful about making such sweeping generalizations.

- Warren

tribdog said:
I'm not exactly sure what a vegetable chemical is, but I do know that I would rather drink a glass of salt water than half a glass of hydrochloric acid and half a glass of Sodium Hydroxide even though they are made of the exact same "chemicals".
The thing you want to watch for when eating chicken chemicals is which part of the chicken the chemical came from. Some of the less expensive soup mix is made with beak crystals, and I don't have to tell you what will happen if you eat too much of this. I know that Canada and either Rhode Island or Wyoming have made it illegal for anything with more than 6% mammal chemical to be labeled as chicken chemical. Of course they say nothing about artificial chicken chemical.

So you think my idea is whacked? At least you could add the chemicals of the part of the chicken that make it taste like chicken?

chroot said:
I'd be careful about making such sweeping generalizations.

- Warren

Sorry, but I've never met a vegan who didn't act religious about it, everything from their reasons for being a vegan down to pushing everyone else they know to become one, and expecting everyone to cater to their wacky dietary requirements, and none of it based on any good, solid evidence for eating a healthy diet, but rather some bizarre notions that humans aren't part of the food chain the rest of the organisms on the planet thrive on.

tgt said:
So you think my idea is whacked? At least you could add the chemicals of the part of the chicken that make it taste like chicken?

Why not just eat the chicken? :rolleyes:

Moonbear said:
Why not just eat the chicken? :rolleyes:
Oh, sure! Just drag in any wild idea! Are you whacked?! :rofl:

The food industry knows what's good for us, so instant soup, hamburger helper, noodles in a cup, etc, must be great. They process the raw food to make it even better for us. :rolleyes:

You can get all the vitamins you need from a vegan diet it just requires you to eat a wide diversity of foods. Something some vegans can't manage but it is possible. That said yes why not just be a vegetarian?

omelette ?