The spin-flavor wavefunction of Sigma+

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining the spin-flavor wavefunction of the ##\Sigma_+## baryon starting from the known quark content of the proton. The speaker has applied ladder operators to obtain baryon octet vertexes and is now facing difficulties in determining the flavor and spin wavefunctions for the ##\Sigma_+##. They are seeking a comprehensive and detailed explanation of this process. The conversation also touches upon the confusion surrounding the derivation of the proton wavefunction and suggests consulting a book or article for clarification. Finally, there is a reference to a paper with simple spin-flavor wavefunctions for baryons.
Xico Sim
Hi, guys.

If I want to write the spin-flavor wavefunction of ##\Sigma_+## starting only from knowing that the quark content of the proton is ##uud##, how can I procced?
I started by applying the ladder operators in order to get the baryon octet vertexes. I am now having problems with:
  1. determining the flavor wavefunction for the center octet states (including ##\Sigma_+##).
  2. determining the spin wavefunction for ##\Sigma_+##. Even if I suppose that the its spin state is ##|1/2,1/2\rangle##, there is more than one way for this to happen when we combine 3 spin 1/2 quarks...
Does anyone know a text where I can find something like this done in a comprehensive and detailed way? Or, alternatively, can you tell me a way to do it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Aren't sigma baryons strange ones? Are you using an SU(3) flavor symmetry?
As for the quarks they would be uus ? If you have more than 1 combination then you write them all, as you did for the proton [when you had the mixed symmetric states].
the flavor states can be obtained in a similar way by combining u,u and s.

The problem is that I did not understand the derivation of the proton wavefunction also: I found Griffiths, and for that matter every other text I found on the subject, quite confusing. Do you happen to know a place where it is clearly and thoroughly explained?

Using Thomson's book I understood the derivation of the proton spin-flavour wavefunction. I will try to apply what I learned to this case.

what is confusing?

ChrisVer said:
what is confusing?

To make myself clear, I posted my attempt. I arrived at the correct wavefunction, but I have a problem with it: even though it seems symmetric, I would expect it to be only mixed symmetric (only symmetric in 1,2), since ##X## is only symmetric in 1,2 and ##\phi## is completely symmetric...

Attachments

• 20160627_193521.jpg
    20160627_193521.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 807
  • 20160627_193529.jpg
    20160627_193529.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 880
  • 20160627_193540.jpg
    20160627_193540.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 716
  • 20160627_193548.jpg
    20160627_193548.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 675
  • 20160627_193559.jpg
    20160627_193559.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 651
  • 20160627_193604.jpg
    20160627_193604.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 781
  • 20160627_193609.jpg
    20160627_193609.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 737
Why is phi symmetric? aren't you using a uds? I am sorry but I don't see why you wouldn't consider the antisymmetric singlet.

ChrisVer said:
I am sorry but I don't see why you wouldn't consider the antisymmetric singlet.

When determining ##X##?

when determining Phi...
you should have a symmetric one (in the triplet I=1 combination) : [itex] uds + dus[/itex]
and an antisymmetric one (in the singlet I=0 combination) : [itex] uds - dus [/itex]
they both correspond to I3=0

Look at look at PR 172, 1807 for simple spin – flavor wave functions for baryons.

clem said:
Look at look at PR 172, 1807 for simple spin – flavor wave functions for baryons.

What is PR?

What is the spin-flavor wavefunction of Sigma+?

The spin-flavor wavefunction of Sigma+ is a mathematical representation of the particle's internal properties, specifically its spin and flavor quantum numbers.

Why is the spin-flavor wavefunction of Sigma+ important?

The spin-flavor wavefunction of Sigma+ is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of the particle in various interactions and environments.

How is the spin-flavor wavefunction of Sigma+ determined?

The spin-flavor wavefunction of Sigma+ is determined through experimental observations and theoretical calculations based on the laws of quantum mechanics.

What is the significance of the spin-flavor wavefunction of Sigma+ in particle physics?

In particle physics, the spin-flavor wavefunction of Sigma+ plays a crucial role in understanding the fundamental building blocks of matter and the interactions between them.

How does the spin-flavor wavefunction of Sigma+ relate to other particles?

The spin-flavor wavefunction of Sigma+ is unique to this specific particle, but it can be compared and contrasted with the wavefunctions of other particles to gain a deeper understanding of their similarities and differences.