Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I The spin-flavor wavefunction of Sigma+

1. Jun 25, 2016 #1
    Hi, guys.

If I want to write the spin-flavor wavefunction of ##\Sigma_+## starting only from knowing that the quark content of the proton is ##uud##, how can I procced?
    I started by applying the ladder operators in order to get the baryon octet vertexes. I am now having problems with:
    1. determining the flavor wavefunction for the center octet states (including ##\Sigma_+##).
    2. determining the spin wavefunction for ##\Sigma_+##. Even if I suppose that the its spin state is ##|1/2,1/2\rangle##, there is more than one way for this to happen when we combine 3 spin 1/2 quarks...
    Does anyone know a text where I can find something like this done in a comprehensive and detailed way? Or, alternatively, can you tell me a way to do it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2016 #2

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Aren't sigma baryons strange ones? Are you using an SU(3) flavor symmetry?
    As for the quarks they would be uus ? If you have more than 1 combination then you write them all, as you did for the proton [when you had the mixed symmetric states].
    the flavor states can be obtained in a similar way by combining u,u and s.

4. Jun 25, 2016 #3
    The problem is that I did not understand the derivation of the proton wavefunction also: I found Griffiths, and for that matter every other text I found on the subject, quite confusing. Do you happen to know a place where it is clearly and thoroughly explained?

5. Jun 26, 2016 #4
    Using Thomson's book I understood the derivation of the proton spin-flavour wavefunction. I will try to apply what I learned to this case.

6. Jun 26, 2016 #5

ChrisVer

Gold Member

what is confusing?

7. Jun 27, 2016 #6
    To make myself clear, I posted my attempt. I arrived at the correct wavefunction, but I have a problem with it: even though it seems symmetric, I would expect it to be only mixed symmetric (only symmetric in 1,2), since ##X## is only symmetric in 1,2 and ##\phi## is completely symmetric...

Attached Files:

8. Jun 27, 2016 #7

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Why is phi symmetric? aren't you using a uds? I am sorry but I don't see why you wouldn't consider the antisymmetric singlet.

9. Jun 27, 2016 #8
    When determining ##X##?

10. Jun 28, 2016 #9

ChrisVer

Gold Member

when determining Phi...
    you should have a symmetric one (in the triplet I=1 combination) : [itex] uds + dus[/itex]
    and an antisymmetric one (in the singlet I=0 combination) : [itex] uds - dus [/itex]
    they both correspond to I3=0

11. Jul 3, 2016 #10

clem

Science Advisor

Look at look at PR 172, 1807 for simple spin – flavor wave functions for baryons.

12. Jul 3, 2016 #11
    What is PR?

13. Jul 4, 2016 #12

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted