1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Standard Model (What Don't I know?)

1. Mar 25, 2010 #1
    A big part of the theory of the standard model is that the major forces are mediated by the exchanging of elementary particles. So hypothetically, if we discovered some material that blocked the photon, for example, does this mean an object wrapped in this material would be unaffected by the electromagnetic force?

Basically this is a question about what kind of exchanging of particles we're talking about. Is it an exchange in the sense of how atoms exchange electrons, or am I completely off?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

Last I checked, Lead works pretty well.
  4. Mar 25, 2010 #3
    Oh, so follow-up question: If the graviton exists, and if there is a material to block it, we would theoretically be able to defy gravity?
  5. Mar 26, 2010 #4
    Gravitons are speculative and even if they existed, I don't believe so. Gravity is the curvature of spacetime and thus the attraction between two objects wouldn't be affected by a material between the two objects.

Lead doesn't block magnetism, which is an electromagnetic force.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook