The Sum of a series with exponents

In summary, the conversation is about finding the sum of a convergent series using the ratio test and geometric series formula. The student is having trouble manipulating the series and asks for hints. They eventually get an answer of 50/3, but the solution booklet says it should be 20/3. The expert points out that the formula used is for a sum starting at zero, while the given series starts at one, so a correction must be made to the formula.
islandboy401

Homework Statement

Problem: Indicate whether the series converges or diverges. If it converges, find its sum.

THE SERIES:

sum.JPG

Homework Equations

The ratio test and w/e equation is used to find the sum of this particular series

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to find that the series converges, using the ratio test. However, I cannot find the sum of the series. I do not see any way in which I could manipulate the geometric series, or anything like that. Could someone please enlighten me on how to find the sum of this series, or any series in such a form.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you need to do a lot of manipulation on a geometric series to find the sum. It should be pretty straightforward. Just factor out the k=1 term.

I have factored out the k=1 term...yet, I still do not know exactly what to do. I wrote out the series for both the numerator and the denominator, yet I do not see what to do next.

Here is my work:

sumone.jpg

Another hint at the problem solving process will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

you could just write 2k+1=2k*2 and 5k-1=5k*5-1

Thanks for all the hints...but now, I have another problem. I obtained an answer of 50/3...however, the solution booklet says the answer is 20/3...

Here is my work:

sumagain.jpg

Is this a typo in the manual, or is my answer truly wrong? If so, please tell me where I messed up.

The problem is that your sum is going from 1 to infinity, not zero to infinity. The formula for the geometric series that you used requires that the sum goes from zero to infinity:

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}ax^k=\frac{a}{1-x}[/tex]

But

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}ax^k=\frac{a}{1-x}-a[/tex]

What is the formula for finding the sum of a series with exponents?

The formula for finding the sum of a series with exponents is (an+1 - 1)/(a - 1), where a is the common ratio and n is the number of terms in the series.

What is the difference between a geometric series and an arithmetic series?

In a geometric series, each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a constant ratio. In an arithmetic series, each term is obtained by adding a constant value to the previous term.

How do you determine if a series with exponents is convergent or divergent?

A series with exponents is convergent if the absolute value of the common ratio a is less than 1. It is divergent if the absolute value of a is greater than or equal to 1.

Can the sum of a series with exponents be negative?

Yes, the sum of a series with exponents can be negative. This occurs when the common ratio a is negative and the number of terms n is odd.

How can the sum of a series with exponents be used in real life?

The sum of a series with exponents can be used in various fields such as finance, physics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to calculate compound interest, determine the total distance traveled by an object with constant acceleration, or find the total resistance in a circuit.