The total charge between two cylinders

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a discharge tube with a cathode and anode of different radii and lengths, and a uniform electron cloud between them. The goal is to find the total charge of the electron cloud using Gauss's law, but the difficulty lies in determining the electric field between the anode and cathode due to the non-negligible length of the tube. After some discussion and rethinking, the correct solution is ultimately found.
Vernes

Homework Statement

We have a discharge tube where the cathode is a cylinder with radius a and the anode is a coaxial cylinder with radius b, a<b. Both cylinders have length L, (Note that L can not be seen as large).The potential of the cathode is 0 and the potential of the anode is U>0. The electric field strength at the surface of the cathode is 0. If we assume that the electron cloud between the anode and cathode is uniformly distributed, what is then the total charge Q of the electron cloud?

Homework Equations

[tex] \oint \bar E \cdot d\bar s = \frac {Q_{inside}} {\epsilon _0} [/tex]
[tex] \oint \bar E \cdot d\bar l = \Delta V [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My idea is to put a gaussian surface surounding the space between the anode and the cathode and then use Gauss's law to get the total charge inside. To be able to do this i need to know the electric field between the anode and the cathode and I can't seem to figure out how i can express this in a convenient way, mainly because L can't be seen as large and therefore I believe you need to consider the fringe effects? Maybe I should use the second equation to find the electric field but I can't seem to get my head around how this could be done.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure this has a nice answer if L cannot be seen as large compared to b-a?

This is a two-dimensional problem. Solving the Poisson equation analytically does not look easy.

Been watching this thread, agree with mfb. The poisson equation in just r would have been easy, but if z is added as a second coordinate I don't see it either.

Ok, I got the right answer now. L could acctually be seen as large compared to a and b...
I'm so sorry for giving you guys the wrong information.
Still the mere fact that you said that you also found it hard to solve when L couldn't be seen as large made me rethink and get the right answer so thank you!

1. What is the total charge between two cylinders?

The total charge between two cylinders refers to the net electric charge present on the surface of two cylindrical objects placed in close proximity to each other. This charge can be positive, negative, or neutral depending on the properties of the cylinders and the surrounding environment.

2. How is the total charge between two cylinders calculated?

The total charge between two cylinders can be calculated using the formula Q = ε0 * (V2-V1) / ln(r2/r1), where Q is the total charge, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, V2 and V1 are the potential differences of the two cylinders, and r2 and r1 are the radii of the cylinders.

3. What factors affect the total charge between two cylinders?

The total charge between two cylinders is affected by various factors such as the distance between the cylinders, the properties of the material they are made of, the presence of any external electric fields, and the applied potential difference between the cylinders.

4. Can the total charge between two cylinders be negative?

Yes, the total charge between two cylinders can be negative if one cylinder has a higher potential than the other and they are made of materials with different dielectric constants. This results in an overall negative charge on one of the cylinders.

5. How can the total charge between two cylinders be manipulated?

The total charge between two cylinders can be manipulated by changing the properties of the cylinders, such as their material or size, altering the distance between them, or applying an external electric field. The total charge can also be controlled by adjusting the potential difference between the cylinders.