The Units of a Position Vector in a Hilly Landscape

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
amcqueen
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
My problem is not so much the mathematics of doing the question, but rather the units.

The question states: "A car travels across a hilly landscape with a position vector given in the x - z plane.

Position Vector = 30 km/hti + 1 km cos (t/(0.1h))k

How can the units for a position vector be given as km/h ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The units are not km/h, the units are that of km/h*t = Length/time * time = length.
 
I'm struggling with the maths side of this question. I've done some searching and came across an answer of v(t) = i30 - k10sin10t and I kind of understand this. I do not understand why the sin is negative though. Could anyone run through the differentiation of this?

Thanks!
 
Caldo120 said:
I do not understand why the sin is negative though. Could anyone run through the differentiation of this?
You're asking where the minus sign comes in when finding d(cosx)/dx? Have you studied calculus?

Try: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differentiation_of_trigonometric_functions"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
oh dear. apologies. I was flicking through my table of "INTEGRALS" and wondering why it didn't make sense. Thoroughly embarrassed.

Thank you though for showing me I must pay more attention!