Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Unruh Effect and Expansion of the Universe

1. Dec 29, 2013 #1
    The Unruh Effect predicts that a uniformly accelerating observer in a vacuum field (full of perturbations) will observe an effective temperature. We know that space is expanding at an accelerating rate. My question is then, in all inertial reference frames would all 'observers' in the universe hypothetically observe this temperature? Could the observation of this temperature be the missing microstates from within blackholes which leads to the information paradox?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Given the Cosmological Principle, I'd say yes. If such a thing exists, it should be the same everywhere (away from massive bodies)

HUH ???

4. Dec 29, 2013 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I would be surprised if the expansion of space (accelerated or not) resembles the acceleration considered for the Unruh effect.
    Here is a tricky question: the acceleration (expressed in m/s^2) depends on the distance, but or local observed temperature cannot depend on that. Which distance would we have to choose?
    ???

5. Dec 29, 2013 #4

Bill_K

Science Advisor

No. Unruh radiation is observed by an accelerating observer. An observer in an inertial reference frame (even in an expanding universe) is not an accelerating observer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook