The way matrices are written without boxes

In summary, when a matrix is represented as a box it is easy to understand, but it is not very representative. It becomes very ambiguous when we define the matrix multiplication and write the i-j element of AB =C as c_{ij} = \sum_{k=1}^{p} a_{ik} b_{kj}.
Hall
TL;DR Summary
i-j representation of matrix.
When a matrix is represented as a box it seems all very clear, but this representation
$$
A = (a_{ij} )_{i, j =1}^{m,n}$$
Isn't very representative to me. The i -j thing creates a lot of confusion, when we write ##a_{ij}## do we mean the element of i th row and jth column or the other way round?

It becomes very ambiguous when we define the matrix multiplication and write the i-j element of AB =C as
$$
c_{ij} = \sum_{k=1}^{p} a_{ik} b_{kj}$$

It's not the case that I cannot understand it rather the matter I find it difficult to make this representation as my second nature. Can anyone of you help me in adopting this representation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hall said:
Can anyone of you help me in adopting this representation?
It's clearly the way to go if you want to do formal proofs involving ##n \times n## matrices, where ##n## is arbitrary. It's useful, of course, to use ##2 \times 2## and ##3 \times 3## examples to help, but ultimately the compact algebraic notation is indispensible.

PeroK said:
notation is indispensible.
Do you have something to share from your experience or your fellows experience when you were undergrads ?

Hall said:
Do you have something to share from your experience or your fellows experience when you were undergrads ?
Hall said:
we define the matrix multiplication and write the i-j element of AB =C as
$$
This IS the definition of matrix multiplication. You can't go on forever talking about taking the first row and multiplying it by the first column etc.

When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things.

Corinthians 13:11

For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.

Corinthians 1:11

• Wow
Likes PeroK
Hall said:
When a matrix is represented as a box it seems all very clear, but this representation
$$
A = (a_{ij} )_{i, j =1}^{m,n}$$
Isn't very representative to me.
It cannot be clearer than that! No dots indicating and so on, no guessing of the dimensions, no guessing whether the entire matrix or only a matrix entry is meant, a clear distinction between matrix and coefficients.

Likes sysprog
Hall said:
When a matrix is represented as a box it seems all very clear, but this representation $$A = (a_{ij} )_{i, j =1}^{m,n}$$

Isn't very representative to me. The i -j thing creates a lot of confusion, when we write ##a_{ij}## do we mean the element of i th row and jth column or the other way round?
The notation means the matrix of elements ##a_{i j}## as i ranges from 1 to m and j ranges from 1 to n. The first index in ##a_{i j}## is the row index, and the second is the column index.

Hall said:
It becomes very ambiguous when we define the matrix multiplication and write the i-j element of AB =C as ##c_{ij} = \sum_{k=1}^{p} a_{ik} b_{kj}##
It's not at all ambiguous once you realize that the i-j entry in matrix C is the dot product of row i in the left matrix (A) with column j in the right matrix (B). For the multiplication to be defined, or conformable, the rows of A and the columns of B must have the same number of elements, n in this case.

Likes Klystron and sysprog
fresh_42 said:
For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.

Corinthians 1:11
Little children, let us not love.

John 3:18

Talk no more of off topic things quoth the raven nevermore.

Likes Mark44
Hall said:
It becomes very ambiguous when we define the matrix multiplication and write the i-j element of AB =C as
$$

You know you sum over the elements of a row of A and a column of B, so that should tell you which index is which!

1. What is the purpose of writing matrices without boxes?

Writing matrices without boxes is a common practice in mathematics and science to save space and make calculations easier. It also allows for a more streamlined and organized representation of matrices.

2. How do you write a matrix without using boxes?

To write a matrix without using boxes, you can use parentheses or brackets to enclose the elements of the matrix. The elements are separated by commas or spaces, and the rows are separated by semicolons or new lines.

3. Is writing matrices without boxes a standard convention?

Yes, writing matrices without boxes is a standard convention in mathematics and science. It is widely used in textbooks, research papers, and other scientific publications.

4. Can matrices be written without boxes in any dimension?

Yes, matrices can be written without boxes in any dimension, including 2D, 3D, and higher dimensions. The same conventions of using parentheses or brackets and separating elements and rows apply.

5. Are there any advantages to using the box-less format for matrices?

Yes, there are several advantages to using the box-less format for matrices. It allows for a more compact representation, making it easier to write and read matrices with a large number of elements. It also allows for easier manipulation and calculation of matrices.