Is There a Simple Way to Show GL(n,C) is a Lie Group?

In summary, the conversation discusses the approach of showing that ##\mathrm{GL}(n,\mathbf{C})## is isomorphic to a subgroup of ##\mathrm{GL}(2n,\mathbf{R})##, which is a smooth manifold. The hint is to replace each complex number in the matrix with a matrix block. The goal is to show that the map ##\Phi## is a group isomorphism. One approach is to consider the first two rows and columns of the matrices and prove that the multiplication works for the rest of the rows/columns. Another approach is to show that the product and inversion are smooth, using the fact that they are polynomials on the entries. The calculation for ##T
ergospherical
Homework Statement
As per title
Relevant Equations
N/A
I'd like to clarify a few things; the approach is basically just to show that ##\mathrm{GL}(n,\mathbf{C})## is isomorphic to a subgroup of ##\mathrm{GL}(2n,\mathbf{R})## which is a smooth manifold (since ##\mathbf{R} \setminus \{0\}## is an open subset of ##\mathbf{R}##, so its pre-image ##\mathrm{det}^{-1}(\mathbf{R} \setminus \{ 0\}) = \mathrm{GL}(2n,\mathbf{R})## under the continuous determinant map is a smooth manifold.)

The hint is to consider replacing each ##X_{ij} = a_{ij} + ib_{ij}## with a matrix block ##\begin{pmatrix} a_{ij} & -b_{ij} \\ b_{ij} & a_{ij} \end{pmatrix}##. To show this map is a group isomorphism means to show that ##\Phi(XY) = \Phi(X) \Phi(Y)##, right? So I could write (summation implied over repeated suffices)\begin{align*}
(XY)_{ij} = X_{ik} Y_{kj} &= (a_{ik} + ib_{ik})(c_{kj} + id_{kj}) \\
&= a_{ik} c_{kj} - b_{ik} d_{kj} + i(a_{ik} d_{kj} + b_{ik} c_{kj})
\end{align*}I tried to write the affect of the map ##\Phi## on the elements explicitly, i.e. \begin{align*}
\Phi(X)_{ij} =
\begin{cases}
a_{\mathrm{ceil}{\frac{i}{2}} \mathrm{ceil}{\frac{j}{2}}}, & i+j \ \mathrm{even} \\
(-1)^i b_{\mathrm{ceil}{\frac{i}{2}} \mathrm{ceil}{\frac{j}{2}}}, & i+j \ \mathrm{odd}
\end{cases}
\end{align*}but this becomes a mess to work out ##(\Phi(X) \Phi(Y))_{ij}##. I think it is clear, by considering e.g. a ##1 \times 1## matrix ##(a_{11} + ib_{11})##, that it works, but there is surely a better approach?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For two nxn matrices (which expand to 2nx2n) you should be able to convince yourself that if you just look at the first two rows of X and the first two columns of Y, that if the multiplication works out that it will work out for the rest of the rows) columns. Then you have a much more tractable problem, just pick an arbitrary 2x2 block in the result and check that e.g. the top left entry is the sum of product of real parts of the original n complex numbers minus sum of the product of the imaginary parts.

Likes ergospherical
Part of the longer way , in showing product and inversion are smooth is using that both of these are polynomials on the entries. And for a Lie Group, a subgroup is also a Lie Group if it's a closed subgroup.

Multiplication are linear polynomials, hence analytic. Inversion, too, extended by the inverse of the determinants as a factor. But they are quotients of polynomials without singularity, hence analytic as well.

Here is the calculation for ##T_{\operatorname{id}}(\operatorname{SL}(n)) = \mathfrak{sl}(n)##
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/pantheon-derivatives-part-iv/

It contains the derivative of the determinant.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes ergospherical

What is GL(n,C)?

GL(n,C) is the general linear group of n-dimensional complex matrices. It consists of all invertible n-by-n matrices with complex entries.

What does it mean for a group to be a Lie group?

A Lie group is a group that is also a smooth manifold, meaning it is locally homeomorphic to Euclidean space. This allows for the use of calculus and differential equations to study the group and its properties.

Why is it important to show that GL(n,C) is a Lie group?

Proving that GL(n,C) is a Lie group allows us to use the tools and techniques of differential geometry to study its structure and properties. This is especially useful in applications to physics and engineering.

What are the key steps in showing that GL(n,C) is a Lie group?

The key steps involve showing that GL(n,C) is a smooth manifold, that the group operation is smooth, and that the inverse function is smooth. This can be done using the matrix exponential function and the inverse function theorem.

Are there any other important properties of GL(n,C) as a Lie group?

Yes, GL(n,C) is not only a Lie group, but it is also a complex Lie group, meaning its underlying manifold can be equipped with a complex structure. This allows for the use of complex analysis to study the group and its representations.