The world according to the tire guy

It seems that what originally motivated him to ban computers in the home was the internet.

In his words, "if they need to know something, they can go to the library and look it up in a book".

He wants to turn back the clock. He thinks that we should start eliminating the technology in our lives.

Someone asked for specifics. I don't want to regurgitate everything that he said [nor could I], but as an example, he accepts that global warming is real, but it seems that we don't have to worry about the effects for 500,000 years. I have no idea where the magic 500K number comes from.
Yeah, this guy isn't merely uneducated, he's got a screw loose. Bipolar Disorder strikes the educated and uneducated alike and sometimes you find very dumb, uneducated bipolar people who, none-the-less have the manic confidence and drive to talk your ear off. (Think: Charles Manson.) On the other hand, he may simply have been on methamphetamines.

There was a strange guy who used to hang out at the cafe who talked everyone's ear off about everything and also made delusional claims such as having worked secretly for Nasa and having been sent into space, and then came the intimations that he was the reincarnation of Jesus. He started getting skinny and sickly. Eventually he was diagnosed with leukemia. Now, after a few months of treatment, he is suddenly sane, not nearly as opinionated, and looks physically healthy. Your tire guy might well have an undiagnosed physical problem.

Aether
Gold Member
He wants to turn back the clock. He thinks that we should start eliminating the technology in our lives.
Bill McKibbon articulates an interesting viewpoint along these lines: http://www.singinst.org/media/beinggoodenough [Broken].

...he accepts that global warming is real, but it seems that we don't have to worry about the effects for 500,000 years. I have no idea where the magic 500K number comes from.
Bill McKibbon is introduced in the video like this: "...20 years ago he was one of the very first people to sound the alarm bells about global warming...he has turned his focus over the last few years to the more general questions about is technology just gotten to be too much..."

Last edited by a moderator:
Your tire guy might well have an undiagnosed physical problem.

Neanderthalitis

Neanderthalitis

I hope you're not saying it's so easy even a cave man could do it.

It seems that what originally motivated him to ban computers in the home was the internet.

In his words, "if they need to know something, they can go to the library and look it up in a book".

Someone asked for specifics. I don't want to regurgitate everything that he said [nor could I], but as an example, he accepts that global warming is real, but it seems that we don't have to worry about the effects for 500,000 years. I have no idea where the magic 500K number comes from.

actually from this post

-------------
but yours is better

------------------
I may have gotten there sooner or later though

Last edited: