Theodor von Oppolzer's Canon of Eclipses

  • Thread starter Thread starter Trip
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Trip
Messages
1
Reaction score
1
Summary:: A call for information about Oppolzer and his Canon of Eclipses

Theodor von Oppolzer was an incredible astronomer and mathematician. I recently came across a free online version of his Canon of Eclipses and (for the parts I understand) I have enjoyed going through it and learning more. I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has reviewed Oppolzer's works. I searched the forum before making this post and I didn't see any other posts about Oppolzer.

The link to his book is right here: https://archive.org/details/canonofeclipsesc0000oppo/page/n1

There's a website that mentions him and gives some images of his maps: http://eclipse-maps.com/Eclipse-Maps/History/Pages/1887_Canon_der_Finsternisse_-1207_to_-375.html

He has a crater on the moon named after him: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oppolzer_(crater)

I'm still learning how to read and understand the math behind calculating the eclipses, any help or extra comment on Oppolzer and his work will be appreciated. I just want to better understand how he conducted his calculations and where they deviate from what's believed today.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It would seem that the copyright should have expired for this book, but it is not available for download?