Theorem on Division by a Prime

In summary, the conversation is about working through the Theorem on Division by a Prime using complete induction. The speaker is having trouble understanding the proof and questions the use of induction. They also mention Euclid's Lemma and the possibility of using it directly instead of induction. The conversation ends with the speaker understanding and figuring out the proof.
DeadOriginal

Homework Statement

I am working my way through the Theorem on Division by a Prime. "Let p be a prime number.Then for all integers x and y, if p divides xy, then p divides x or p divides y.

The proof is being done by complete induction.
Proof. Let x be a whole number p a prime numberk and y be an integer. Then let P(x) be the sentence "If p divides xy, then p divides x or p divides y.

Base Case: P(0) says if p divides (0*y) then p divides 0 or p divides y. This is true since anything divides 0.

Inductive Step: Assume P(0),...,P(x) are all true. We wish to show that P(x+1) is also true. Now x+1<p or x+1>=p.

Case 1: Assume x+1<p. So by the division lemma, p=q(x+1)+r for some integer q and r in {0,1,...,x}. Now multiply by y such that py=q(x+1)y+ry. Then ry=py-q(x+1)y. Thus p divides ry. Now r satisfies the induction hypothesis so P(r) is true. Thus p divides r or p divides y. If p divides r then since 0<=r<x+1<p we know that r=0. So p=q(x+1). Since p is prime then q=1 or x+1=1. But q does not = 1 since p>x+1. Thus x+1=1 and so (x+1)y=y and so since p divides (x+1)y, p must divide y. So P(x+1) is true.

Case 2: Assume x+1>=p. By the division lemma, x+1=qp+r for some integer q and r in {0,1,...,p-1}. Since p<=x+1, then p-1<=x so r in {0,1,...,x}. Now multiply by y such that (x+1)y=qpy+ry so ry=(x+1)y-qpy. Thus p divides ry. By the inductive hypothesis p must divide r or p must divide y. If p divides r then since x+1=qp+r, we must have p divides x+1. So P(x+1) is true.

Conclusion: Therefore, by complete mathematical induction, P(x) is true for all whole numbers x so it is true for all integers x.

Homework Equations

The part that I don't understand is py=q(x+1)y+ry so ry=py-q(x+1)y, so p divides ry.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand how we can say that p divides ry. I know that if p divides a number say x, then there exists an integer k such that x=pk so we can say y is that integer but here we also have the extra term q(x+1)y. Doesn't that interfere with the division of p?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is called Euclid's Lemma.

Why would you use induction? You can do this directly.

Dustinsfl said:
This is called Euclid's Lemma.

Why would you use induction? You can do this directly.

Hmm.. Thanks for the post. I will definitely look that up and try to learn it to surprise my professor if he by any chance puts it on a test but the reason why I am using complete induction for this is because it is being used as an example in my proofs class to teach us how to use complete induction.

DeadOriginal said:
Hmm.. Thanks for the post. I will definitely look that up and try to learn it to surprise my professor if he by any chance puts it on a test but the reason why I am using complete induction for this is because it is being used as an example in my proofs class to teach us how to use complete induction.

If you are using induction, are you sure you aren't trying to prove the generalized Euclid's Lemma?

##p|a_1a_2\cdots a_n## Then ##p|a_i##.

This is a case to use induction on it.

Dustinsfl said:
If you are using induction, are you sure you aren't trying to prove the generalized Euclid's Lemma?

##p|a_1a_2\cdots a_n## Then ##p|a_i##.

This is a case to use induction on it.

I included the proof above.

I can't seem to follow why we can say that p divides ry. Wouldn't we need to know that p also divides (x+1)y before we can say that p divides ry?

Never mind. I figured it out.

Last edited:

What is the Theorem on Division by a Prime?

The Theorem on Division by a Prime states that if a prime number p divides the product of two integers, then it must divide at least one of the integers.

How is the Theorem on Division by a Prime useful?

This theorem is useful in many areas of mathematics, particularly in number theory and algebra. It allows us to simplify and solve equations involving prime numbers more easily.

Can this theorem be extended to non-prime numbers?

No, this theorem only applies to prime numbers. However, there are similar theorems that apply to other types of numbers, such as the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic for all integers.

What is the proof of the Theorem on Division by a Prime?

The proof of this theorem is based on the fundamental property of prime numbers, which states that they can only be divided by 1 and themselves. By contradiction, assume that p does not divide either of the integers a or b. Then, the product ab would also not be divisible by p, contradicting the initial assumption.

Are there any real-life applications of the Theorem on Division by a Prime?

While this theorem may not have direct applications in everyday life, it serves as a fundamental principle in many mathematical concepts and theories. It also has applications in computer science and cryptography, as prime numbers are used extensively in encryption algorithms.