Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theoretical physicist says universe has radius=10cm

1. Jul 26, 2011 #1
    Hello everyone.
    I was just reading Ian Stewart's "Concepts of Modern Mathematics". In the end of the first chapter he writes

A certain theoretical physicist secured himself a mighty reputation on the basis of his deduction, on very general mathematical grounds, of a formula for the radius of the universe [...] It was several years before anybody had enough curiosity to substitute the numbers in it and work out the answer. Ten centimeters."

This seems quite the fluke. Is this actually true? Can you tell me who this "certain theoretical physicist" is/was?

Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2011 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He should have asked for help from Physics Forums before going to press. It would have saved him a lot of embarrassment.

4. Jul 26, 2011 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

For very large definitions of "centimeter"

5. Jul 27, 2011 #4
    Or very small definitions of universe :P

6. Jul 28, 2011 #5

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The author couldn't be bothered to actually give the name of this certain someone and the papers involved?

7. Jul 28, 2011 #6
    Paradox. ?

8. Jul 28, 2011 #7
    via mathematical approach* quite possible!

9. Aug 7, 2011 #8
    No, they author didn't bother. That's why I posted this, I am curious about it.

10. Aug 7, 2011 #9
    Thats why physics is awesome. There is obviously still stuff to work out!

11. Sep 11, 2013 #10
  12. Sep 12, 2013 #11

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Note that they are talking about the size of the observable universe right after inflation, not at the big bang.

13. Sep 12, 2013 #12

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As the book from which the 10cm quote came was published in 1975, I wouldn't take very seriously any envelope-pushing claims it makes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook