Theoretical Physics / Financial Engineering

In summary, the individual is seeking guidance on pursuing a PhD in Physics while also being interested in financial engineering. They are considering pursuing a PhD in theoretical Physics and doing research in a finance related subject. They are wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and would like advice.
Raioneru
Hi, guys need a bit of guidance here
a little bit of background on me: interested in financial engineering and medical physics, but I'm afraid if I go the road of FE (which is not a Physics degree) I won't be able to pursue a PhD in Physics (I'd like to remain a physicist :) )
I don't think pursuing a PhD in Physics part time after earning a MSFE is doable (or even allowed). I would like to commit for 5-6 years, and do something.
I'm thinking about pursuing a PhD in theoretical Physics instead and doing research in a finance related subject. It seems to be the best of both world, what do you think?

has any of you come across a similar situation?

let me know :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Raioneru said:
Hi, guys need a bit of guidance here
a little bit of background on me: interested in financial engineering and medical physics, but I'm afraid if I go the road of FE (which is not a Physics degree) I won't be able to pursue a PhD in Physics (I'd like to remain a physicist :) )
I don't think pursuing a PhD in Physics part time after earning a MSFE is doable (or even allowed). I would like to commit for 5-6 years, and do something.
I'm thinking about pursuing a PhD in theoretical Physics instead and doing research in a finance related subject. It seems to be the best of both world, what do you think?

has any of you come across a similar situation?

let me know :D

Hello Raioneru and welcome to the forums.

We get this question quite often around here. It might be helpful for you to search the Academic and Career Advice forums as well as looking at say the most 5 recent pages of posts.

Here is a current one for you:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=532100

will do next time, sorry about that :s

Raioneru said:

One of the paradoxes is that if you want to get a finance related job through the Ph.D. physics route (and this is a bad idea unless you are interested in physics), you are better off focusing on doing research on something in physics than in something financial. The typical research topics that theoretical physicists work on turn out to be more relevant to certain financial jobs than the stuff that people in finance work on (which is why banks hire physicists).

It's also extremely difficult to do research on financial topics part time, because in most situations, you are not going to have access to the raw data. One of the differences between finance and physics is that if you discover some deep secret about how black holes work, you want everyone to know, whereas if you discover some deep secret about how the stock market works, then you want no one else to know.

I can offer some insight into this situation. Theoretical physics and financial engineering are two very different fields, but there is definitely room for overlap and interdisciplinary research. It is important to consider your interests and long-term career goals when making a decision between the two.

If you are interested in pursuing a PhD in physics, it may be beneficial to focus on theoretical physics and incorporate finance-related topics into your research. This will allow you to remain in the field of physics while also exploring your interest in finance. However, keep in mind that a PhD in physics can be a long and challenging journey, so it is important to make sure you are truly passionate about the subject.

On the other hand, if your main interest lies in financial engineering, pursuing a PhD in this field may be the best option for you. While it may not be a traditional physics degree, it will still involve a significant amount of quantitative and analytical skills that can be applied to various industries, including finance.

In terms of pursuing a PhD part-time while working in the field, it may be possible but it would require a lot of dedication and time management. It is important to research the specific program you are interested in and see if they offer part-time options and if it is feasible to balance both commitments.

In the end, it is important to follow your passions and choose a path that aligns with your long-term goals. Interdisciplinary research is becoming more and more common, so don't be afraid to explore different options and see where your interests take you. Good luck!

What is theoretical physics?

Theoretical physics is a branch of physics that uses mathematical models and theories to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws of nature and their underlying principles.

What is financial engineering?

Financial engineering is the application of mathematical and quantitative methods to solve financial problems. It involves developing and using complex financial models and algorithms to manage risk, optimize investment strategies, and create financial products.

What is the relationship between theoretical physics and financial engineering?

Theoretical physics and financial engineering both use mathematics and modeling to understand and predict complex systems. However, while theoretical physics focuses on understanding the physical world, financial engineering focuses on understanding and managing financial systems and markets.

What skills are needed to become a theoretical physicist or financial engineer?

To become a theoretical physicist, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Financial engineers also need a strong background in mathematics and computer science, as well as knowledge of economics and finance.

What are some potential career paths for theoretical physicists and financial engineers?

Theoretical physicists can work in academia, research institutions, or in industries such as aerospace, energy, or technology. Financial engineers can work in investment banks, hedge funds, insurance companies, or as consultants. Both fields also offer opportunities in government agencies and startups.