Theoretical Physics / Straight Physics

In summary, theoretical physics may not disadvantage you in terms of research if you have a strong math background.
Chewy0087
Hey it's me again.

I'm at the stage now where I'm practically picking universities to apply to & courses and the one problem that I'm having trouble with now is theoretical/straight physics.

Would taking theoretical physics affect my chances of post-graduate in terms of research? I know that with theoretical physics / applied mathematics, you miss out on practically all of the lab-work, which obviously plays a huge role in the post-graduate physics. It's not that I dislike lab-work, but I do prefer the theoretical side.

Would it disadvantage me at all doing theoretical physics in this way? Or would you just recommend taking applied mathematics options ontop of a normal physics degree?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
My advice has always been to be wary of X-physics or physics with-X undergrad degrees.
But theoretical physics is a little different, there is basically a continuum between maths,applied-maths,theoretical physics,physics depending on the institution.
You should take a look at the courses offered by both depts (maths+physics) and what the prerequisites are. You should also ask how linked the depts are, can you take final year physics courses from a maths degree for example.

Look at UCL - when I went there (many years ago) the maths and physics+astronomy depts were very strongly linked and you could pretty much take any mix of maths/physics/astronomy courses you wanted.

At Cambridge most of the theoretical physics grad students in astronomy as well as DAMTP had maths part III and probably a 50:50 split maths/physics ugrad.

Actually what you're saying is linking into what I was thinking, the main example I would be applying to (if any) would be Warwick, so as to take advantage of the excellent maths department, but like you said I guess I should see how the departments link together.

On a side note, how much do you think doing a degree in theoretical physics would aid me in terms of mathematical skill etc? I really enjoy math anyway and I presume that doing theoretical physics/applied mathematics would focus even more on the maths but do you think that's a good thing or not really necessary for a PhD in a "run of the mill" pure physics PhD such as particle physics, solid state physics etc.

It depends - to a pure maths person the stuff that I would consider 'super hard miles beyond me' maths, like most of general relativity, is boring tedious arithmetic!

On the other hand in experimental physics, I've never really had to use much maths beyond matrices.

Thanks a lot =P, still not sure what to do though...

What I would do:

Major in physics and take as many math courses as you can along the way.

This way you get the lab work and you have the math background to go into theory in grad school if you so desire.

I'm always wary when I hear about undergrad degrees in subfields or subtypes of physics as well. I wouldn't want to place myself into a specific field or into experimental vs. theoretical that early on. When I was first entering university, I realize now that I really didn't really understand much about real physics. My fields of interest changed as I moved through the years in university. They may still as I go on into grad school. So, I'd go into the straight physics degree, to give myself the most exposure to different types of physics.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the advice, I think I will go for straight physics and try to get as many math extras as I can; while I'm here, are there any recommendations for UK universities? =P

I'm not THAT bothered about the university campus etc, just want one with a really good jam packed course, I'm already applying to Birmingham, Oxford & Warwick, anyone got any other sugguestions? I have been to a few open days but I'm still lost >.<

1. What is the difference between theoretical physics and straight physics?

Theoretical physics is the branch of physics that uses mathematical models and principles to explain and predict the behavior of natural phenomena. Straight physics, also known as experimental physics, involves conducting experiments to test and validate theories put forth by theoretical physicists.

2. What are some key areas of study in theoretical physics?

Some key areas of study in theoretical physics include cosmology, quantum mechanics, general relativity, and particle physics. These fields aim to understand the laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe at both the macroscopic and microscopic levels.

3. How do theoretical physicists come up with new theories?

Theoretical physicists use a combination of mathematical reasoning, existing theories, and experimental data to come up with new theories. They may also draw inspiration from other fields of science and mathematics, as well as use computational methods to simulate and test their ideas.

4. Can theoretical physics be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, theoretical physics has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, technology, and medicine. For example, the principles of quantum mechanics are used in the development of computer chips, and general relativity is essential for the functioning of global positioning systems (GPS).

5. What is the significance of theoretical physics in our understanding of the universe?

Theoretical physics plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe and its origins. By developing theories and models, theoretical physicists can explain and predict the behavior of the universe, from the smallest subatomic particles to the largest cosmic structures. These theories also help us make sense of complex phenomena, such as black holes and the Big Bang.