Theoretically… if I stood on a 2-metre-tall wooden post

• Thread starter MikeMarshall
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the strength of a 2-metre-tall wooden post that has been transformed into a 150mm x 150mm square post with 3mm walls through wizardry. The speaker, who weighs 12 stone, is curious if the post can hold their weight without buckling. The conversation also mentions the dangers of climbing and the importance of being cautious. The material of the hollowed out post is questioned, but the wizard who performed the transformation is not knowledgeable in science or math. The conversation ends with the wizard disappearing.
MikeMarshall
TL;DR Summary
since I`m not yet kicked from this site...Theoretically… if I stood on a 2-metre-tall wooden post (surrounded by soft furnishing in case I fell) and a wizard magically transformed that wooden post into a 150mm x 150mm square post 2 metres tall with 3mm walls – would it hold my weight without buckling? I’m 12 stone!
Theoretically… if I stood on a 2-metre-tall wooden post (surrounded by soft furnishing in case I fell) and a wizard magically transformed that wooden post into a 150mm x 150mm square post 2 metres tall with 3mm walls – would it hold my weight without buckling? I’m 12 stone!

Engineering news on Phys.org
What's this hollowed out post made of?

When I was in the Lake District recently I found myself on the wrong side of a dry stone wall with a fence on top of it. I clambered onto the top of the wall and was stepping over the wire fence when the wooden post I was holding onto broke (it was rotten). Luckily it didn't detach itself completely and I got down safely. It shows how careful you have to be climbing over things.

PeroK said:
What's this hollowed out post made of?
Aluminium

MikeMarshall said:
Aluminium
I would ask the wizard!

PeroK said:
When I was in the Lake District recently I found myself on the wrong side of a dry stone wall with a fence on top of it. I clambered onto the top of the wall and was stepping over the wire fence when the wooden post I was holding onto broke (it was rotten). Luckily it didn't detach itself completely and I got down safely. It shows how careful you have to be climbing over things.
True, you always have to careful wherever you scramble, with regards to my post, I wouldn`t actually stand on top of it. I just want to know the strength or weight load of one aluminium hollow post 2 metres long and 150mm square sides with 3mm thick walls. Then i will multiply that answer by 6 to get an answer to my original question which caused confusion and got shut down.

PeroK said:
I would ask the wizard!
Aah the wizard does not believe in science nor mathematics and like me does not know the engineering rules of physics. He told me to ask cleverer people... that's why i`m here?

And the Wizard has requested to be gone, and POOF! It was made so.

• Haha
Likes Tom.G, jim mcnamara, russ_watters and 2 others

1. How would standing on a 2-metre-tall wooden post affect my balance?

Standing on a 2-metre-tall wooden post would greatly affect your balance, as the post is much taller and narrower than a typical standing surface. Your center of gravity would be significantly higher, making it more difficult to maintain your balance.

2. What are the potential risks of standing on a 2-metre-tall wooden post?

The potential risks of standing on a 2-metre-tall wooden post include falling and sustaining injuries, such as sprains or fractures. Additionally, the post may not be stable enough to support your weight and could break, causing you to fall.

3. How does the height of the wooden post affect my weight distribution?

The height of the wooden post greatly affects your weight distribution. The higher you stand, the more weight is concentrated on a smaller surface area, making it more difficult to maintain balance. This is due to the increased distance from your center of gravity to the ground.

4. Can standing on a 2-metre-tall wooden post improve my balance and coordination?

Standing on a 2-metre-tall wooden post can potentially improve your balance and coordination, as it requires you to engage your core muscles and focus on maintaining your balance. However, it is important to exercise caution and use proper safety precautions when attempting this activity.

5. How does the material of the post affect my stability?

The material of the post can greatly affect your stability. A wooden post may be more unstable compared to a metal or concrete post, as it is more susceptible to bending or breaking under weight. It is important to choose a sturdy and stable post when attempting this activity.