What's the load capacity of 6 aluminium posts?

In summary, Mike is asking about how much weight 6 x 2m tall aluminum posts with walls 3mm thick can hold.
MikeMarshall
TL;DR Summary
Anyone know the load capacity of 6 aluminium boxes 150mm x 150mm 3mm thick wall and 2 metres in length?
Hello

First time here! I have acquired 6 aluminium boxes they are 2 metres in length, they are 150mm x 150mm square and the walls are 3mm thick (they are also powder coated).

My plan is to use all 6 boxes upright as posts for a covered pergola or in other words a fancy BBQ hut, so I will be putting a flat-ish roof either osb boards and rubber or some kind of pvc corrugated roofing. The posts will sit in post shoes that will be fixed with bolts and concrete.

My question is how much weight will I be able to load onto the posts? I will frame the posts with 47 X 120 joists and the finished structure will be 3 metres wide by 2.4 metres long. I need the weight bearing calculation to help me decide what roofing to use.

Thank you for any help!

mike

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Mike.

How windy is it where you are building this outdoor structure?

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF, Mike.

How windy is it where you are building this outdoor structure?
Hello Berkeman, not very windy to be fair we are in Nottinghamshire.

Boxes were not designed to function as posts, so we might wonder about how the corners are constructed. Without a lot of detail about the boxes, very little can actually be said. In addition, this will be a structure 2 m off the ground, a potentially dangerous fall for people on the platform. You really need to speak to a local structural engineer for advice.

Dr.D said:
Boxes were not designed to function as posts, so we might wonder about how the corners are constructed. Without a lot of detail about the boxes, very little can actually be said. In addition, this will be a structure 2 m off the ground, a potentially dangerous fall for people on the platform. You really need to speak to a local structural engineer for advice.
Ooh Dr.D I think you might be over thinking! please follow link: https://www.tuin.co.uk/aluminium-post.html
Basically its aluminium posts - which are aluminium boxes designed to be used as posts. The corners will be bolted together like any pergola structure probably with bolts and also where we live people do not stand atop pergolas or bbq huts so no risk of falling.
Thank you for your time in replying but if i simplified the question it how much weight could 6 x 2m tall 150mm square with 3mm thick walls aluminium boxes/posts with stand?

There is more to building a pergola than merely holding up the roof. There are wind loads, snow loads, somebody tying a rope to the structure, and miscellaneous unexpected loads. For these reasons, plus legal liability, PhysicsForums does not do consulting engineering.

Therefore, this thread is closed.

Likes russ_watters, Twigg and berkeman

What is the load capacity of 6 aluminium posts?

The load capacity of 6 aluminium posts depends on various factors such as the thickness, length, and type of aluminium used. It is important to consult with a structural engineer to determine the specific load capacity for your project.

How do I calculate the load capacity of 6 aluminium posts?

The load capacity of 6 aluminium posts can be calculated by considering the dimensions and material properties of the posts, as well as the expected load and safety factors. This calculation should be done by a qualified engineer to ensure accurate results.

What is the maximum weight that can be supported by 6 aluminium posts?

The maximum weight that can be supported by 6 aluminium posts will depend on the load capacity of each individual post and the distribution of weight across all 6 posts. Again, it is best to consult with an engineer for an accurate assessment.

What is the difference between static and dynamic load capacity for 6 aluminium posts?

The static load capacity refers to the maximum weight that can be supported by 6 aluminium posts when the load is stationary. On the other hand, the dynamic load capacity takes into account the weight and movement of the load, and may be lower than the static load capacity.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when using 6 aluminium posts for heavy loads?

Yes, it is important to follow all safety guidelines and regulations when using 6 aluminium posts for heavy loads. This may include using proper bracing and support, regularly inspecting the posts for any damage, and not exceeding the recommended load capacity. It is also recommended to consult with a professional engineer for any safety concerns.

Back