Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theory like coordinate geometry

1. Jan 23, 2008 #1
    is one -one correspondence must for a theory like coordinate geometry , polar coordinate ,vector analysis etc
    to work , i.e theories which work by representing a quantity by a different set of quantities
    behaving alike
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's hard to tell exactly what you're asking... but I think I can answer.

It is fairly common to allow many different notations for the same object; you just have to include rules for identifying when two notations denote the same object.

e.g. 1/2 and 2/4 are two different notations for the same rational number, and 0° and 360° are two different notations for the same angle. (0° and 360° are different angular displacements, of course)
  4. Jan 23, 2008 #3
    what i meant was like in vector we represent a vector by a straight directed line and then use its property to find the property of the represented vector .

this is because they belong to same class of entities i.e vectors

similiarly ordered triplets and points are two quantities which represent each other in space
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?