Theory undergrad -> experiment graduate

In summary, your undergraduate research experience is minimal and your focus is on getting interested in the subject and picking up skills in programming.
PrismAndGate
This may have been better to ask before I finished my grad school applications, but I think it will still be useful..
As an undergrad all my research experience has been theoretical/computational related to applied physics,materials, energy..., but in my applications I indicated reasons for wanting to do experimental research in similar areas to the computational experience I had. I didn't extend my math background much beyond the required PDEs, linear algebra, etc, and stuff, too.

I know we aren't supposed to know exactly what we want to do t this point, but is this type of "switch" common for undergrads entering grad school?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not quite sure what you are referring to here.
Undergrads never (or at least very rarely) do any "real" experiments (lab exercises do not really count in this context), so there is no such things as an "experimental" undergrad.

PrismAndGate said:
As an undergrad all my research experience has been theoretical/computational

The research experience you've gained is very minimal compared to what you'll actually do at graduate level so the actual material you cover isn't all that important. It's more about getting interested in the subject and if you can pick up some bonus skills along the way, like programming in computational work then great.

Experimental work is pretty much all computational nowadays, but even then, graduate schools will never consider an undergraduate student as committed to theory or experimental work based on the courses they've done. The most important thing to them is that you can demonstrate ability and the fact that you're actually interested in their subject.

f95toli said:
I am not quite sure what you are referring to here.
Undergrads never (or at least very rarely) do any "real" experiments (lab exercises do not really count in this context), so there is no such things as an "experimental" undergrad.

Haha...yeah I know that. I'm sure there are plenty of students who do both types of projects. I guess my question was focused towards the types of skills one might be missing out on by not doing a research project in an experimental group.

Experimental work is pretty much all computational nowadays, but even then, graduate schools will never consider an undergraduate student as committed to theory or experimental work based on the courses they've done. The most important thing to them is that you can demonstrate ability and the fact that you're actually interested in their subject.
Thanks, your reply is the kind of thing I was looking for to get my perspective towards the right track. I think I picked up some misconceptions on other websites.

I can say that it is not uncommon for undergraduates to switch from theoretical to experimental research when entering graduate school. Many undergraduates may have limited exposure to experimental research and may not have had the opportunity to explore it during their undergraduate studies. However, as they progress in their academic journey and gain more experience and knowledge, their interests may shift towards experimental research.

In your case, it is perfectly natural to have a change in research interests as you advance in your academic career. Your computational experience in applied physics, materials, and energy can provide a strong foundation for understanding experimental research in these areas. Additionally, your mathematical background in PDEs, linear algebra, and other areas will also be beneficial for experimental research, as these skills are often necessary for data analysis and interpretation.

It is important to keep an open mind and explore different areas of research during graduate school. Your interests and goals may continue to evolve as you gain more experience and exposure to different research methods and topics. So, don't worry if your interests have shifted towards experimental research – it is a common and natural progression in the scientific world. Focus on developing a strong foundation in your chosen field and continue to explore and learn new techniques and methods. This will ultimately make you a well-rounded and versatile scientist.

1. What is the difference between studying theory as an undergraduate and conducting experiments as a graduate student?

As an undergraduate, you will primarily focus on learning and understanding existing theories and concepts. As a graduate student, you will have the opportunity to apply those theories and concepts in hands-on experiments to further advance scientific knowledge. You will also have more independence and responsibility in designing and conducting your own experiments.

2. Can I pursue an experimental graduate degree if I have only studied theory as an undergraduate?

Yes, it is possible to transition from theory to experiment in your graduate studies. Many graduate programs offer courses and training to help students with a theoretical background become proficient in experimental techniques. Additionally, your advisor and other faculty members can provide guidance and support in this transition.

3. What skills do I need to have to be successful in an experimental graduate program?

Having a strong foundation in scientific principles, critical thinking, and problem-solving is important for success in an experimental graduate program. You should also possess good communication skills, the ability to work independently and in a team, and be open to learning new techniques and approaches.

4. Are there any disadvantages to transitioning from theory to experiment in graduate school?

The transition from theory to experiment can be challenging, especially if you do not have prior experience with laboratory work. Additionally, it may take longer to complete your graduate studies as you will need to devote time and effort to learning new techniques and conducting experiments.

5. What career opportunities are available for someone with a background in theory and experience in experimentation?

A graduate degree in an experimental field can open up a wide range of career opportunities. You can pursue a career in academia, industry, government, or research institutions. Your combined background in theory and experimentation will also make you a valuable asset in fields such as data analysis, consulting, and science communication.