There are tiny bugs flying around my sink

• Thread starter Newai
  • Start date
~christina~
Gold Member
I did a little project with my niece and nephew. We make little traps out of cups and paper funnels. Fill the cup (glass is good so you can look in) with wine, or fruit, and then tape a paper funnel over the top of the cup. The funnel can be made by rolling a piece of paper, taping it, and making a tiny hole by snipping the end with sissors. The flies can easily fly into the funnel as they go from wide to narrow, drawn in by the odor, but coming out is another matter. Then you just let them go outside.
I wonder if this works with larger flies. Of course, I'm not sure if they would be drawn to wine/apple cider vinegar. I find that there are a bunch of large flies in my backyard around the stairs. I don't know why they congregate there but I assume it's because it's cooler around that area.

I wonder if this works with larger flies. Of course, I'm not sure if they would be drawn to wine/apple cider vinegar. I find that there are a bunch of large flies in my backyard around the stairs. I don't know why they congregate there but I assume it's because it's cooler around that area.
I don't know why a larger version of the trap should not work. However, I hate to tell you what might work as bait. :rofl:

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I don't know why a larger version of the trap should not work. However, I hate to tell you what might work as bait. :rofl:
Lol, I had that same icky thought hahahah....

~christina~
Gold Member
Lol, I had that same icky thought hahahah....
I assume a rotting carcass would suffice... :uhh:

turbo
Gold Member
Most flies like excrement and/or rotting meat. My favorite flies are nectar-eating parasitic flies. They lay their eggs on beetles, and when the eggs hatch, the larvae burrow into the host, killing and eating it. I LOVE it when they parasitize Japanese beetles. Yay! Raised white dot(s) on the carapace? You're a goner, beetle!

DaveC426913
Gold Member
I assume a rotting carcass would suffice... :uhh:
Yeees...

I like a clean kitchen. That's why I keep a hunk of rotting carcass out to keep the flies under control. (Lord knows, I wouldn't want my kitchen to smell of poo...) :wink:

~christina~
Gold Member
Most flies like excrement and/or rotting meat. My favorite flies are nectar-eating parasitic flies. They lay their eggs on beetles, and when the eggs hatch, the larvae burrow into the host, killing and eating it. I LOVE it when they parasitize Japanese beetles. Yay! Raised white dot(s) on the carapace? You're a goner, beetle!
I wonder if any other substitute is available besides the pleasant ingredient of rotting meat/excrement.

Yeees...

I like a clean kitchen. That's why I keep a hunk of rotting carcass out to keep the flies under control. (Lord knows, I wouldn't want my kitchen to smell of poo...) :wink:
Your kitchen must be spotless. :rofl: