Thermal annealing to induce nanoparticle formation

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties in finding sources that explain the process of thermal annealing of thin metal films in relation to inducing nanoparticle formation. The basic idea of thermal annealing and its macroscopic scale is understood, but the specific details of how it induces nanoparticle formation are unclear. The individual is seeking sources, preferably at a graduate level, that can provide more information on this process. They also question if this forum is the appropriate place to ask for help on this topic.
Verdict
Good day,
I was recently asked to look into the process of thermal annealing of thin metal films in order to induce nanoparticle formation. However, I have been terribly unsuccessful in finding any sources that describe exactly how this works. I understand the basic idea of thermal annealing on a macroscopic scale, accelerating the process of relieving internal stresses of a material by using high temperatures and such. But how this induces nanoparticle formation is not clear to me at all, and all the papers I have been able to find on the topic merely say that this process was used in order to produce the particles, but not why and how.
So basically my question comes down to if anyone can point me to a source (be it a book, a paper or a research article) in which at least the basics of this process are explained, preferably at a graduate level at maximum. I apologize if this is not what this forum is meant for, but it felt as if posting this under homework would not be fruitful either, as most readers there help people solve well posed questions, not research a topic, in my experience.

Kind regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, well, I take it that this might not have been the correct forum then. I apologize! Should I instead post it in the homework section?

1. What is thermal annealing?

Thermal annealing is a process in which a material is heated to a specific temperature and then slowly cooled in order to change its physical and/or chemical properties.

2. How does thermal annealing induce nanoparticle formation?

During thermal annealing, the high temperature causes atoms or molecules in the material to diffuse and rearrange themselves, leading to the formation of nanoparticles.

3. What materials can be used for thermal annealing to induce nanoparticle formation?

Thermal annealing can be used on a wide range of materials, including metals, semiconductors, polymers, and oxides.

4. What are the benefits of using thermal annealing for nanoparticle formation?

Thermal annealing allows for precise control over the size, shape, and distribution of nanoparticles, making it a useful technique for various applications such as catalysis, sensing, and drug delivery.

5. What are the key factors to consider when using thermal annealing for nanoparticle formation?

The key factors to consider include the annealing temperature, duration, and cooling rate, as well as the composition and starting structure of the material being annealed.