Thermal conductivity and Debye temperature

The number of atoms is directly proportional to the volume of the cube. In summary, the thermal conductivity of a material is directly proportional to its speed of sound, mean free path, molar heat capacity, and molar volume. Assuming constant molar volume and mean free path, and a direct relationship between volume and number of atoms, we can rank the given cubes in order of thermal conductivity, with the largest value first being: (i) A 1 cm3 cube of silicon at 6 K, (ii) A 512 mm3 cube of silicon at 2 K, (iii) A 1 mm3 cube of argon at 4 K, and (iv) A 512 mm3 cube of
Flucky
Hi all

Homework Statement

The Debye temperature of argon is 92 K and that of silicon is 345 K. Rank the following in order of thermal conductivity (largest value first):
(i) A 1 cm3 cube of silicon at 6 K
(ii) A 512 mm3 cube of silicon at 2 K
(iii) A 1 mm3 cube of argon at 4 K
(iv) A 512 mm3 cube of argon at 2 K

You may assume that the argon and silicon are pure (i.e. there are no defects or impurities).What additional assumptions have you made?

Homework Equations

[1] κ = [itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex]vl[itex]\frac{C_{v}}{V_{m}}[/itex]

where v is speed of sound [3], l is mean free path, C[itex]_{v}[/itex] is molar heat capacity and V[itex]_{m}[/itex] is molar volume.

[2] C[itex]_{v}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{12π^{4}}{\hbar}[/itex]Nk[itex]_{b}[/itex]([itex]\frac{T}{θ_{D}}[/itex])[itex]^{3}[/itex]

where N is number of atoms, T is temperature and θ[itex]_{D}[/itex] is Debye temperature.

[3] v = [itex]\frac{θ_{D}k_{b}}{\hbar}[/itex][itex]\sqrt[3]{\frac{V}{6π^{2}N}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The thing that is throwing me is N, number of atoms. There is no density or mass given in the question so I'm not sure what to do. One idea was to assume that N is proportional to V but I don't know how to incorporate that into the equations. Maybe there is something I can do with V/N together instead of treating them separately.

Also the molar volume V[itex]_{m}[/itex] surely I need a mass or density in order to find out how many moles there are for each part of the question?

I'm also not sure what to do with the mean free path, l.

Any pointers in the right direction would be really appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Additional assumptions: 1. The argon and silicon are pure and free from defects or impurities. 2. The molar volume of the argon and silicon is constant. 3. The mean free path of the argon and silicon is constant.

1. What is thermal conductivity?

Thermal conductivity is a measure of a material's ability to conduct heat. It is a property that describes how quickly heat can pass through a material, and is usually denoted by the symbol "k". Higher thermal conductivity means a material can transfer heat more efficiently.

2. How is thermal conductivity measured?

Thermal conductivity is typically measured using a device called a thermal conductivity meter. This device consists of a heat source, a temperature sensor, and a material sample. The heat source applies a constant heat flow to one side of the sample, while the temperature sensor measures the temperature difference between the two sides. The thermal conductivity can then be calculated using the temperature difference and the known properties of the material.

3. What factors affect thermal conductivity?

Thermal conductivity can be affected by several factors, including the type of material, its density, temperature, and any impurities or defects present. Generally, materials with high thermal conductivity tend to also have high electrical conductivity, as both properties are related to the ease of movement of particles within the material.

4. What is Debye temperature?

Debye temperature is a measure of the average thermal energy of particles in a solid material at absolute zero temperature. It is named after physicist Peter Debye and is denoted by the symbol "θ". The Debye temperature is an important parameter in the theory of heat capacity and is used to describe the behavior of materials at low temperatures.

5. How is Debye temperature related to thermal conductivity?

Debye temperature is closely related to thermal conductivity, as it is a measure of the average energy of particles in a material. Higher Debye temperatures indicate that particles in the material have more energy and are able to transfer heat more efficiently. Therefore, materials with higher Debye temperatures tend to have higher thermal conductivities.