Thermal Equilibrium of Lens and Disk in Solar Projection

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
nicu15
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Lens & Disk

The image of the sun is projected on the disk using a lens of radius r<<d and focal length f<<d (d is the distance between the sun and the disk.. The magnification of the lens is M`f/d, so that the image completely fills the disk R`=MR. When the disk reaches thermal equilibrium, what is its temperature?

I don't really know where to start, so a hint would help a lot.

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I've already done that part.

Computed the flux in and compared it with the flux out of the disk. got a temperature of $T_{disk}=T\sqrt{\frac{R}{d}}$ where d is the distance from the sun to the disk and R is the radius of the sun.
 
Simon Bridge said:
How would you do the problem if there was no lens?
nicu15 said:
I've already done that part.
... good.

So what does the lens do in terms of the solar flux that gets to the disk?