[Thermal Physics] Calculating Energy Removal

In summary: But that's not the correct way to do things. Leave the signs as they are, and then just add, without turning any of them positive or negative.
Maxee

Homework Statement

A water of mass 300g has been poured into a glass of mass 100g (of specific heat capacity 970Jkg-1°C-1) in a refrigerator. How much energy must be removed to cool the liquid and the glass from 30°C to 7°C?

Homework Equations

c = Q/mΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

mwater = 300g = 0.3kg
cwater = 4180JKg-1°C-1
mglass = 100g = 0.1kg
cglass = 970Jkg-1°C-1
ΔT = -23°C
Q = ?

c = Q/mΔT => ΔT = Q/cm

I'm having a problem setting up the equation the right way since this isn't helping me solve my problem here. I believe I'm fundamentally thinking wrong about the problem and hence am setting it up this way. Any help would be appreciated on how to proceed with it and also, please, include the reasoning behind your decisions so I can learn to set up the problem correctly in my head. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
split the question up, (treat the cup and the liquid independently), find the heat removed for the temperature change in each case and just add.
Try it out. Do the calculation and post it. You'll probably get it right!

Maxee said:

Homework Statement

A water of mass 300g has been poured into a glass of mass 100g (of specific heat capacity 970Jkg-1°C-1) in a refrigerator. How much energy must be removed to cool the liquid and the glass from 30°C to 7°C?

Homework Equations

c = Q/mΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

mwater = 300g = 0.3kg
cwater = 4180JKg-1°C-1
mglass = 100g = 0.1kg
cglass = 970Jkg-1°C-1
ΔT = -23°C
Q = ?

c = Q/mΔT => ΔT = Q/cm

I'm having a problem setting up the equation the right way since this isn't helping me solve my problem here. I believe I'm fundamentally thinking wrong about the problem and hence am setting it up this way. Any help would be appreciated on how to proceed with it and also, please, include the reasoning behind your decisions so I can learn to set up the problem correctly in my head. Thank you.

It would be better to use Q = mcΔT in your calculations.

Qtotal = Qglass + Qwater

Thank you. I've done as I've been told and got both values for Q negative (since I included multiplication with -23 for ΔT in both equations). Now, when I turn Qwater to positive and than add Qglass to it [Q = Q + (-Q)] I get a good result. Would you please explain me what am I doing wrong, because I can see myself on the exam not realizing when I have to switch signs since there is no solution provided to compare my results.

The water and its container are both cooled, so for them ΔT is negative, and the energy (heat) change for them is likewise negative, i.e., Q is negative because their energy content must be reduced.

Actually maxee, i prefer not using the signs at all, i would take even ΔT as positive, it makes calculations easy and takes the pressure off you, to get the right signs.
So just calculate the Q (change in energy) in both the cases and add ( only in this case, don't generalize), later see if its decrease or increase in temperature, then decide the sign.
Maxee said:
Now, when I turn Qwater to positive and than add Qglass to it [Q = Q + (-Q)] I get a good result.
I don't understand why you turned Qwater positive?? Even if you did then even Qglass should be turned +ve.

1. How do you calculate the amount of energy removed from a system?

The amount of energy removed from a system can be calculated using the formula: Q = mCΔT, where Q is the energy removed, m is the mass of the system, C is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

2. What is thermal energy?

Thermal energy is the internal energy of a system due to its temperature. It is the sum of the kinetic energy of all the particles in the system.

3. How does energy removal affect the temperature of a system?

Removing energy from a system will decrease its temperature. This is because the energy removed is converted into work and is no longer in the form of thermal energy, causing the particles in the system to have less kinetic energy and thus a lower temperature.

4. Is there a difference between energy removal and energy transfer?

Yes, there is a difference between energy removal and energy transfer. Energy removal refers to the reduction of energy within a system, while energy transfer refers to the movement of energy from one system to another.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculating energy removal?

Calculating energy removal is important in various real-life scenarios, such as determining the cooling capacity of air conditioning systems, calculating the amount of heat needed to melt materials in industrial processes, and understanding the effects of energy removal on the human body in medical treatments.