Thermal populations of atomic energy eigenstates

In summary, the conversation was about a population of isolated atoms with discrete energy levels and the expected population of each state at a given temperature. The individual was looking for help in finding the right formula or book to understand this concept. A recommendation was made for the book "An Introduction to Thermal Physics" by Daniel Schroeder, which includes the formula P(\psi) = \frac{1}{Z}e^{(N\mu - \epsilon)/kT} for calculating this. The individual expressed gratitude and planned to visit the library for further research.
Kazza_765
Basically I have an (infinite) population of isolated atoms with a bunch of discrete energy levels available to them. I want to work out what the expected population of each of the states is at a given temperature.

They're complex atoms (transition metals) and spin-orbit coupling combined with various valance configurations gives me a big spectrum of possible eigenstates, with a number of different degeneracies. I'm sure I should have covered this at some stage in my education, but I always hated statistical physics and skipped most of the lectures.

I'm hoping someone could point me towards the right formula or the right book, or even a paper that has covered this at a basic level and has useful references. The only thing I remember is looking at the fermi level in semi-conductors, but I don't think that applies when we have discrete states.

Thanks
John

Physics news on Phys.org
The book I always liked for statistical mechanics, at least as an introduction, was "An Introduction to Thermal Physics" by Daniel Schroeder. So you might have a look at that. Basically you're going to need something like
[tex]P(\psi) = \frac{1}{Z}e^{(N\mu - \epsilon)/kT}[/tex]
where [itex]\mu[/itex] is the chemical potential of a given state, [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is its energy, [itex]N[/itex] is the number of electrons in the state, [itex]T[/itex] is the temperature, and [itex]k[/itex] is Boltzmann's constant. I'm not sure if that's the exact notation used in the book but it should be recognizable at least.

Terrific, thankyou very much. Off to the library now.

(I reckon it's always better to have someone recommend a good book than just typing "statistical physics" in the catalogue.)

1. What are thermal populations of atomic energy eigenstates?

Thermal populations of atomic energy eigenstates refer to the distribution of energy levels in a collection of atoms at a specific temperature. It describes the probability of an atom occupying a particular energy level in a thermal equilibrium.

2. How are thermal populations of atomic energy eigenstates calculated?

The thermal populations are calculated using the Boltzmann distribution, which takes into account the energy levels and temperature of the system. It provides a mathematical relationship between the energy levels and the probability of an atom occupying each level.

3. What factors affect the thermal populations of atomic energy eigenstates?

The thermal populations are affected by the temperature of the system, the energy levels of the atoms, and the degeneracy of the energy levels. Other factors such as the presence of external fields or interactions between atoms can also impact the thermal populations.

4. What is the importance of understanding thermal populations of atomic energy eigenstates?

Understanding the thermal populations is crucial in many fields, including chemistry, physics, and materials science. It allows scientists to predict and explain the behavior of atoms and molecules at different temperatures and make accurate calculations for various processes and phenomena.

5. How can thermal populations of atomic energy eigenstates be experimentally determined?

Thermal populations can be measured using techniques such as spectroscopy, which can detect the energy levels of atoms and their relative populations. These measurements can then be compared to theoretical calculations to validate the distribution of thermal populations.