1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermistor relationship, linearizing (really easy)

1. Jan 31, 2008 #1
    I'm doing coursework on using a thermistor as a temperature sensor. For my preliminary readings I had to choose between 3 different thermistors.

Is it true that, for example, a 22k thermistor has a resistance of 22kohms at 25 degrees? (my tutor told me this) likewise, a 15k thermistor has a resistance of 15kohms at 25 degrees? My results don't show this at all; they're completely off. (eg. 6kohm resistance at 25 degrees for a 10 kohm resistor..)

I've looked at some thermistor datasheets but i can't make head nor tail of them. could anyone give me a range of the types of resistances I should be getting, please?

Also, anyone advice on how I should linearize my results? I understand that the resistance-temperature graph is non-linear. do I: Record the voltage at different resistances (and therefore temperatures) and plot a voltage-temp graph?

but this won't be a straight line, am i right? so/do I have to plot a tangent to my curve?

i'm just really unsure of what i'm doing, i've heard/read different things. Thanks in advance for any help, it is muchly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2008 #2
    What are your units of temperature? Thermistors vary quite a lot I suspect. Could you post the links to the data sheets?
  4. Jan 31, 2008 #3
    A 10 kohm resistor should indeed have a resitance of 10 kohm at 25 degrees celsius.
    I found some datasheets here

You are measuring the resistance with a voltage small enough to not procuce heating in the thermistor?

You could plot the logarithm of the resistance against the temperature.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?