1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermochemistry and Equilibrium of Reaction

1. Jun 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An ice cube of mass 36 g at temperature -10 Celsius is placed in 360 g of water at 20 Celsius. Find thermal equilibrium temperature. [tex]\Delta[/tex]H(fusion) = 6.007 kJ mol[tex]\wedge[/tex]-1.

Molar heat capacity of ice = 38
    water = 75 (Joules)/(K mol)

Assume no heat loss to the surroundings.
    2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\Delta[/tex] H = n(Cp) [tex]\Delta[/tex]T

q = M (Cs) delta T

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to find the thermal temperature first by using the temperature above, but I got different temperatures that were not even close to what they should be. THe thermal temperatures should be between -10 and 20, however they are going to be closer to the 20 becuase water mass is much more than mass of ice.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2009 #2
    Hello there,

You are missing a key equation:

mc∆T = -mc∆T,

where ∆T = Tf - Ti.

I encourage you to learn this equation and then retry the problem. If you need any more help, please write back!

4. Jun 9, 2009 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

First - it is a very particular case.

Second - it doesn't account for the ice melting.

highcoughdrop: heat gained = heat lost; can you list all partial heats thet wll be lost/gained before ysstem will get to the equilibrium?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook