Thermodynamics adiabatic diffuser question

In summary, the adiabatic diffuser decreases the velocity of an airstream from 220 to 30 m/s. The air enters the diffuser at a rate of 8 kg/s with a temperature of 300c and a pressure of 100kpa. The exit area of the diffuser is 0.37 m^2.
Superhawkkodaka
An adiabatic diffuser is employed to decrease the velocity of an airstream from 220 to 30 m/s. The air enters the diffuser at a rate of 8 kg/s with a temperature of 300c and a pressure of 100kpa. Determine the exit area of the diffuser if the exit pressure is 125kpa.

Answer is 0.37 m^2

Guys I am really lost with this one.. I used equations pv=mrt, m=p'v'a, v=v'a
Note (v' is velocity as in> m/s and p' is density) just to prevent confusion

What i only got are the initial values v1, a1, p'1..

Engineering news on Phys.org
I can't get a2(exit area) have any ideas guys?

What does adiabatic mean? How can you use this information to relate the inlet and outlet properties?

billy_joule said:
What does adiabatic mean? How can you use this information to relate the inlet and outlet properties?
i for got to add the equation for conservation of energy on open system
q=∑(exi
billy_joule said:

adiabatic mean
billy_joule said:

adiabatic means heat transfer is zero (Q=0)

i forgot to add the equation for open systems
Q= ΔH + ΔPE + ΔKE + W --- in this equation Q, W, & PE is equal to zero..
and
ΔH = ΔU + Δ(PV)

this equations might be usable.. my question is how do i use these equations to determine exit area

You can find the outlet temp. via conservation of energy. Then you can find outlet density as you have temp. & pressure.
Then use the mass flow equation you gave in your first post to solve for area.

I must add that there are probably other, potentially simpler ways to solve the problem.

billy_joule said:
You can find the outlet temp. via conservation of energy. Then you can find outlet density as you have temp. & pressure.
Then use the mass flow equation you gave in your first post to solve for area.

conservation of energy equation? i don't know how to get the final temperature.. can you be more specific with equation for conservation of energy?
i only know this equation for conservation of energy for open system : Q= ΔH + ΔPE + ΔKE + W
i can' simplify tthe equation that i gave to input the temperature in the equation

Last edited:
Superhawkkodaka said:
i only know this equation for conservation of energy for open system : Q= ΔH + ΔPE + ΔKE + W
You have one unknown in that equation so you should be able to solve it.
If you have no idea how to proceed it's generally best to review your textbook and/or lecture notes. We can help with specific problems but a forum is a poor format to learn course material from.

1. What is a thermodynamics adiabatic diffuser?

A thermodynamics adiabatic diffuser is a device that is used to convert the kinetic energy of a fluid into pressure energy while maintaining a constant entropy. It is commonly used in gas turbines and jet engines to increase the efficiency of the system.

2. How does a thermodynamics adiabatic diffuser work?

The diffuser works by slowing down the flow of a fluid, which causes an increase in pressure according to the Bernoulli's principle. This process is adiabatic, meaning there is no heat exchange with the surroundings, and the entropy remains constant.

3. What is the difference between an adiabatic diffuser and an isentropic diffuser?

An adiabatic diffuser is a type of diffuser where there is no heat exchange with the surroundings, and the entropy remains constant. On the other hand, an isentropic diffuser is a theoretical concept where the process is also reversible, meaning there is no energy loss. In practical applications, an adiabatic diffuser is used instead of an isentropic one.

4. What factors affect the performance of a thermodynamics adiabatic diffuser?

The performance of a diffuser is affected by factors such as the geometry of the diffuser, the properties of the fluid, the inlet conditions, and the operating conditions. A well-designed diffuser that is properly matched to the flow conditions can significantly improve the efficiency of the system.

5. What are some real-world applications of thermodynamics adiabatic diffusers?

Thermodynamics adiabatic diffusers are commonly used in gas turbines, jet engines, and other combustion systems to increase their efficiency. They are also used in refrigeration and air conditioning systems to increase the pressure of the refrigerant, and in industrial processes such as chemical and food processing to compress gases. Additionally, they are used in wind tunnels to simulate high-pressure conditions for testing purposes.