1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics, cannot reach the answer (Reichl's book related)

1. Jun 17, 2013 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a binary mixture of particles of types 1 and 2 whose Gibbs free energy is given by ##G=n_1 \mu _1 ^0 (P,T)+n_2 \mu _2 ^0 (P,T) +RT n_1 \ln x_1 +RTn_2 \ln x_2 +\lambda n x_1x_2##.
    Where ##n=n_1+n_2##. And ##x_1## and ##x_2## are the mole fractions of particles 1 and 2 respectively.
    The book on page 159 states that the conditions ##\mu _1 ^I=\mu _1 ^{II}## and ##\mu _2 ^I=\mu _2 ^{II}## where the upperscript denotes the phase. I have no problem to understand that those conditions must be fulfilled for equilibrium when there's a coexistance of phases.
    But now comes the part where I struggle. From the condition ##\mu _1 ^I=\mu _1 ^{II}##, I'm supposed to find that ##RT \ln x_1 ^I + \lambda (1-x_1 ^I)^2=RT \ln x_1 ^{II}+\lambda (1-x_1 ^{II})^2##.
    But I don't reach this.
    2. Relevant equations
    ##\left ( \frac{\partial g}{\partial n_1} \right ) _{T,P,n_2} =\mu _1##.
    ##x_2=1-x_1##.

3. The attempt at a solution
    ##\mu _1 =\left ( \frac{\partial g}{\partial n_1} \right ) _{T,P,n_2}=\mu _1 ^0 (P,T)+RT \ln x_1 + \lambda x_1 (1-x_1)##.
    So if I use the condition ##\mu _1 ^I = \mu _1^{II}##, I'd get ##RT\ln x_1 ^I + \lambda x_1 ^I (1-x_1 ^I )=RT\ln x_1 ^{II} + \lambda x_1 ^{II} (1-x_1 ^{II} )##. Which differs from the equation I'm supposed to find.
    I know I simply have to derivate g=G/n with respect to ##n_1## while keeping P, T and ##n_2## constant, but I'm simply failing at that apparently.
    I've rechecked the algebra many times, I really don't see where I go wrong. My friend told me he reached the good result, so I know I've went wrong somewhere.

Thank you for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

x1 and x2 are not constants. They depend on n1 and n2.

4. Jun 17, 2013 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thank you TSny, I overlooked this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted