1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics Compressibility Factor

1. Feb 27, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Please consider ethylene at 152oF and 126 atm. Please determine the molar volume (ft3/lbmole) if Z is determined by Corresponding States Theory.

2. Relevant equations
    Z=PVm/RmT
    Vm= Molar volume
    R=Rm/M
    M= molecular weight
    Rm=1545(ft*lbf)/(lbmol*oR)
    Zc=(Pcvc)/(R*Tc)
    Tc=283 K
    Pc=51.2 Bar
    M=28.05 Kg/Kmol
    PR=P/Pc
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I can find Vc but thats not 152 oF and 126 atm.
    I don't know Z at these conditions either so I can't use the other equation.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2017 #2
    What is the reduced temperature and the reduced pressure? Do you have a copy of the graph of z as a function of reduced pressure and reduced temperature?

4. Mar 11, 2017 #3
    I'd imagine that if they say "Z is determined by Corresponding States Theory", that implies it's constant.

5. Mar 11, 2017 #4
    What does this mean? Actually, z is a function of reduced pressure and reduced temperature. Do you know the definition of these quantities?

6. Mar 11, 2017 #5
    For an ideal gas (admittedly a long way from the critical point) z is constant as a function of pressure. Closer to the critical point in general it varies with pressure, but that doesn't seem to rule out the possibility that it takes its critical value here. How would you use the statement about Corresponding States Theory?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted