1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics, manipulating partial derivatives

1. Sep 21, 2014 #1
    Hello PF! It's been a while since I last posted here. I have come across a problem in my textbook, which asks me to find expressions for V as a function of T and P, starting from the coefficients of thermal expansion and compressibility.
    [tex]\alpha = \frac{1}{V} \left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T} \right)_P[/tex]
    [tex]\beta = -\frac{1}{V} \left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial P} \right)_T[/tex]
    I've already solved the problem, I separated the differentials and integrated, then cleared for V. Now, here's where I have trouble. This is how I manipulated the differentials:
    [tex]\alpha \ dT= \frac{1}{V} \ dV[/tex]
    [tex]\beta \ dP= -\frac{1}{V} \ dV[/tex]
    Both my professor, and Castellan's PChem text say this is correct, however, neither my professor nor the book explain why the separation of a partial derivative works in this case. Math professors have always said we can't "break" a partial derivative the same way we do for a regular derivative. If anyone could offer some insight about this case, it would be very helpful. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2014 #2
    [tex]\alpha dT=\frac{dV}{V}[/tex] under the condition p=const or dp=0
    [tex]\beta dP=\frac{-dV}{V}[/tex] under the condition T=const or dT=0
    You need these conditions.

4. Sep 21, 2014 #3
    If V is a function V(P,T) of P and T, then
    [tex]dV=\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial P}\right)_TdP+\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_PdT[/tex]

Chet

5. Sep 22, 2014 #4
    Thank you both! I understand now, I thought they were just magically turning the partial derivative into a regular one. I wasn't aware of how both coefficients relate to the differential of V. We haven't covered partial derivatives or differentials of multivariable functions in Calc III, my professor is going a bit slowly. But we have started to use them in Thermodynamics I, so everything I know about the subject right now is from what I have read on my own.

Oh, and I'm sorry you had to move my thread, I thought it could be posted in the physics section since I wasn't asking for help on solving the problem itself, just a doubt with the math involved, but I'll be more careful next time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted