Thermodynamics speed of a weight bar through ice

In summary, the conversation discusses the sinking of a steel bar through a block of ice, where the pressure exerted by the bar causes the ice to melt and refreeze. The speed at which the bar sinks is determined by various factors such as the mass of the weights attached to the bar, the dimensions of the bar and ice, and the thermal conductivity of steel. By relating equations and using the molar density, it is determined that the speed of the bar sinking is equal to [(2mg(kappa)T)/(abcL2ρi)]*[(1/ρi)-(1/ρw)].
Liquidxlax

Homework Statement

A steel bar of rectangular cross-section, with height a and width b (into the paper), is placed on a block of ice with its ends extending a little beyond the ice, (ice has a length c). A weight of mass m is hung from each end of the bar. The entire system is at 0 degrees celcius.

As a result of the pressure exerted by the bar, the ice melts beneath the bar and refreezes above the bar. Heat is therefore liberated above the bar, conducted through the metal, and then absorbed by the ice beneath the bar. Given the latent heat of fusion per kilogram of ice (L), the density of ice ρi, the density of water ρw, the thermal conductivity of steel (Kappa) which relates the heat q crossing a unit area per unit time to the temperature gradient (dT/dz) in a direction perpendicular to the plane through the relationship q=-(kappa)(dT/dz), the temp T(=0 degrees celcius) of the ice, the accelertation due to gravity g, the mass m, and the dimensions a, b, and c, where c is the length of the block of ice, show that the speed v with which the bar sinks through the ice is

v= [(2mg(kappa)T)/(abcL2ρi)]*[(1/ρi)-(1/ρw)]

Homework Equations

A=bc

dP/dT = L/TΔV ~ ΔP/ΔT

dq = -(kappa)(ΔT/Δz) ( my prof wrote it as q with a dot over top so i assume it's some sort of dq)

(dQfusion/dt) = (dM/dt)(L/A)

The Attempt at a Solution

Everytime i look at it, i don't see a constant velocity since the pressure should be increasing therefore the temperature below the bar would be increasing. anyways

I thought to try and relate the equations with ΔT to get rid of the ΔT

so,

dq= -(kappa)(ΔT/Δz) = -(kappa)([ΔPTΔV]/LΔz)

then for the dQfusion i thought to multiply through by dt and equate the above equation dq to dQfusion

so

dz= -(kappa)*([ΔP*T*ΔV*A]/[dM*L2)

then i thought that ΔP has to be 2(dM)g/A or 2mg/A (since it's in the top of the answer)

ΔV = Adz

that's all i have and i don't think it's right.

any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
guess i could answer my own question, for anyone who has a similar one.

first of all Δv is the molar density

and dq is supossed to be (dq/dt) which is equal to the dQfusion/dt

so

dq/dt=dQfusion/dt

=> -(kappa)(ΔT/Δz) = (dM/dt)(L/A)

and (ΔT/Δz)=(ΔT/a) since Δz=a-0

move L/A over

(dM/dt)= -(kappa)(ΔTA/aL)

next you want to solve for ΔT from the dP/dT

ΔT = (ΔPTΔv)/L

where ΔP = -2mg/bc

so then we have

dM/dt = [2mg(kappa)TΔvA]/[L2abc]

now you need to related the change in mass with respect to time with the change in position of the bar with respect to time

dM/dt = ρibc(dy/dt)

therefore

dy/dt = (dM/dt)(1/(ρibc))

then

dy/dt = [2mgT(kappa)Δv]/[L2abcρi]

the disappears because A=bc

molar volume is equal to 1/ρ

which gives the final answer of

v= [(2mg(kappa)T)/(abcL2ρi)]*[(1/ρi)-(1/ρw)] = dy/dt

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, energy, and temperature.

How is speed of a weight bar through ice affected by thermodynamics?

The speed of a weight bar through ice is affected by thermodynamics because it is a measure of the transfer of heat and energy between the weight bar and the ice, which can affect the rate at which the weight bar moves through the ice.

What factors influence the speed of a weight bar through ice?

The speed of a weight bar through ice is influenced by factors such as the temperature difference between the weight bar and the ice, the thermal conductivity of the ice, and the mass and velocity of the weight bar.

How does the laws of thermodynamics apply to the speed of a weight bar through ice?

The laws of thermodynamics, particularly the first and second laws, apply to the speed of a weight bar through ice by governing the transfer of heat and energy between the weight bar and the ice, and by setting limits on the efficiency of this process.

What are some practical applications of understanding thermodynamics and the speed of a weight bar through ice?

Understanding thermodynamics and the speed of a weight bar through ice can have practical applications in fields such as materials science, engineering, and refrigeration technology. It can also aid in the development of more efficient and effective methods for moving objects through frozen substances.