Thesis like a scientific article

In summary, the professor is trying to streamline the process for writing a thesis by setting a limit on the length and number of pages. He believes that this will help to improve the quality of the final product.
serbring
Hi all,

I am a professor in mechanical engineering and I have several master thesis students and I am facing the problem with the quality of their thesis. Especially, most of the thesis I have to correct are often very long because they are rich in useless information and lack of literature review. For example, in many cases, students write about any basic theory related to the topic that we teach in the first two years. For that reason, I am writing a long guide, where I explain how the thesis should be writting. I am thinking to set a limit of only 20 pages for the thesis, like a scientific paper, so that the students will be forced to think about the reader, so they will be forced to select only the relevant information and more important to review many times what they have written. What do you think about this limit? Is in your opinion too limited?

Science news on Phys.org
If your problem is that what you get today is 20 pages of value and 30 pages of rubbish, a 20 page limit will turn this into 1 page of value and 19 pages of rubbish.

Likes Dr. Courtney
serbring said:
Hi all,

I am a professor in mechanical engineering and I have several master thesis students and I am facing the problem with the quality of their thesis. Especially, most of the thesis I have to correct are often very long because they are rich in useless information and lack of literature review. For example, in many cases, students write about any basic theory related to the topic that we teach in the first two years. For that reason, I am writing a long guide, where I explain how the thesis should be writting. I am thinking to set a limit of only 20 pages for the thesis, like a scientific paper, so that the students will be forced to think about the reader, so they will be forced to select only the relevant information and more important to review many times what they have written. What do you think about this limit? Is in your opinion too limited?

Within the confines of the requirement for a "thesis" as set forth by your department or the graduate school, if there is any, you can set whatever criteria that you wish.

But I'm more puzzled by the apparent lack of influence that you exert on your students, so much so that you had to resort to setting a page limit. Don't you discuss before hand with your students the outline of what they should write? By the time they sit down and start writing, both you and your students should have a clear understanding of what to cover, how much to cover, and what you present. If you do not want them to go in that much detail on the background info, then shouldn't you simply have stated that in the beginning, or during your discussion with your students as you read the first few drafts? It should be as long as necessary and not any longer.

Zz.

Likes jasonRF
serbring said:
Hi all,

Discuss the structure you want your students to use and give an outline. College or university students - Is this so? If yes, then they will adapt to your format and other instructions on how to form their reports.

You've several "Master thesis students"? Yes; they can and will adapt to what you want. They are not beginners at writing technical or academic reports.

Hi all,

thanks for your answers. I am not complaining to the quality of their thesis, that is usually pretty high, but the quality of their first draft. I usually make clear since the beginning, I also have a guide, that I wrote few years back, buy it usually takes three drafts, that I have to read, to get a good work. But this is time consuming and I want to optimize the process. So I thought of doing something totally different than the others and guide the students to write a very short thesis. A coworker of mine says that is not right because an article is different than a thesis, that it should be much longer. I am not fully agree with him.I am glad for what you say.

I like to be involved early and often with written student work products. Having them turn in a completed written work once or twice is a recipe for failure. I given them lots of milestones and lots of feedback. Let's have a few drafts of the introduction and background section (s) before we even think about the method or results sections. Most students need to learn to write and learn my standards of acceptable work before they waste too much time creating lots of pages of drivel.

Likes BvU
I hope I am not stating something fully obvious, but, aren't they aware that a thesis should contain original research and that foundational results should only be quoted-referred to? Maybe set up a right thesis , show it to them and find a way of having students anonymously criticize their respective theses on these grounds/guidelines of originality?

Twenty pages appears too little. While you want the students to focus on presenting what they actually did, I think they should be allowed to give as much detail as possible about what they actually did, and present as much as possible of the results obtained.

I think that the goal and the audience of a masters thesis is different from that of a scientific paper.

Likes WWGD

Question 1: What is the purpose of writing a thesis like a scientific article?

The purpose of writing a thesis like a scientific article is to present original research and findings to the scientific community in a structured and formal manner. Just like a scientific article, a thesis follows a specific format and includes a detailed explanation of the research process, methods, results, and conclusions.

Question 2: How does a thesis differ from a scientific article?

While both a thesis and a scientific article present research and findings, they have some key differences. A thesis is typically longer and more comprehensive, providing a deeper exploration of the research topic. It also includes a literature review and theoretical framework, which may not be present in a scientific article. Additionally, a thesis is usually written for a specific audience, such as a professor or academic committee, while a scientific article is intended for a broader scientific audience.

Question 3: What are the essential components of a thesis like a scientific article?

A thesis like a scientific article typically includes the following components: an abstract, introduction, literature review, methods, results, discussion, and conclusion. It may also include additional sections such as a theoretical framework, acknowledgments, and references. Each section serves a specific purpose and contributes to the overall structure and flow of the thesis.

Question 4: How important is the use of data and evidence in a thesis like a scientific article?

Data and evidence are crucial in a thesis like a scientific article. The entire purpose of a scientific thesis is to present original research and findings, and these must be supported by data and evidence. Without proper data and evidence, the credibility and validity of the research may be questioned. It is essential to accurately and clearly present data and evidence in a thesis to support the research findings.

Question 5: What are some tips for writing a successful thesis like a scientific article?

Some tips for writing a successful thesis like a scientific article include: thoroughly researching the topic, organizing the thesis according to the standard format, using clear and concise language, accurately presenting data and evidence, and following proper citation and referencing guidelines. It is also essential to seek feedback from a supervisor or mentor and make revisions as needed to improve the quality of the thesis.