1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thin films: reflection between glass plates

Tags:
  1. Apr 24, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two parallel glass plates of index of refraction n
    are separated by an air film of thickness d. Light of wavelength λ
    in air, normally incident on the plates, is intensified
    on reflection when, for some integer m

a) 2d=mλ
    b) 2d=mλ/n
    c) 2d=mnλ
    d) 2d=(m+1/2)λ
    e) 2d=mλ/2

2. Relevant equations
    If only one ray is π shifted: 2nd=mλ (min), 2nd=(m+1/2)λ (max)

If both rays π shifted: 2nd=mλ (max), 2nd=(m+1/2)λ (min)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've attached a diagram of two different for how I picture light should be transmitted in this problem. I'm not sure which one would be a correct approach.

Going with the first diagram,
    This would result in a net π shift, so it's conditions would be 2nd=mλ (min) and 2nd=(m+1/2)λ (max).

I chose answer (B) 2d=mλ/n, since the question asks for "intensity increase" so I am assuming it is asking about the condition for a bright fringe; and also because it's one of the only options that takes the index of refraction (n) into account.

I would just like to verify that my reasoning is correct.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2016 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are wrong . The light interference happens because of multiple reflection inside the thin air film between the thick glass plates. d is the thickness of the air film. n is the refractive index of the glass. You can consider the set-up that the air film is surrounded by glass and the light arrives to the glass-air boundary from glass, and reflected from the other side of the air film, from glass.

The

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted