Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Things that take your breath away

1. Aug 12, 2008 #1
    Ok, so the idea is this: List some tidbit of information about physics or math or chemistry or whatever that gives you a feeling of awe / goose bumps / mystery when you look at.

I'll go first to give an idea of what I am talking about.

Some initial facts:

- For your eye to register light, you need about 9 photons within a 100 ms period of time.
    - In dim light, a human pupil has a diameter of about 8 mm.

The star "Betelgeuse" is somewhere around 400 ly away from us, but we can see it with the naked eye. This means every 50 mm^2 of the surface of a sphere with a radius of 400 light years, receives at least 9 photons every 100ms. The sheer amount of photons generated boggles my mind.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2008 #2
    Actually according to Dr. Daniel Robinson you only need about 5 photons. If the five photons hit one cone you'll see it, but all five need to hit one cone. If one photon hits a rod and another hits a neighboring rod etc until 5 photons hit five neighboring rods you will see it, that's why your peripheral vision is more sensitive than looking straight on when it is dark
  4. Aug 12, 2008 #3
    Ok. My source (from 1986 or so) said "five to nine". I still get dizzy thinking about the end product though :)

5. Aug 12, 2008 #4
    that's okay I made mine up
  6. Aug 12, 2008 #5
    just kidding, I have it on a books on tape lecture
  7. Aug 12, 2008 #6
  8. Aug 12, 2008 #7
    I'm sort of amazed at the amount of the Universe that is made up of stuff that isn't what we're made of. What's the latest percentages? 85%Dark matter/dark energy vs 15% our stuff.
  9. Aug 12, 2008 #8
  10. Aug 12, 2008 #9
    I think it's 95/5, but don't forget, we are dark matter ourselves.
  11. Aug 12, 2008 #10
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?