Things you hate to admit because it can be embarrasing.

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
2. Since I got a DUI I have been somewhat embarassed to mention it. There are alot of people out there who think that you must be a real low life scum bag to have gotten a DUI so I am reluctant to say anything about it in front of people I don't really know.

3. I fell in love with a girl who broke up with me a few years ago know and I still become severely emotionally distressed when confronted with the memories. I've stopped speaking with several online friends for fear of seeing her comments on their pages or mention of her and her husband.

4. I'm single primarily because I am afraid to date. When I see women I find attractive I avoid them and when women try to hit on me or give me their numbers I politely blow them off.

5. I have achieved no significant success in my life at all what so ever.

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I never understood the hatred towards DUI. DUI can happen to almost anyone. I know someone who wouldn't have never driven drunk, but ended up doing so without even remembering whatsoever.

Sometimes you can go out, park your car downtown and go out drinking (with the idea to cab it home). If you drank far too much, who knows what you're going to do next... literally. If someone keeps insisting that they wouldn't drive drunk in this scenario, they have never been very drunk (puking does not imply extremely drunk). You can't give your keys to a friend because they are also there to get drunk and cab it home.

I guess the idea is to avoid getting drunk to the point of being capable of making irrational idiotic decisions, but it DOES happen and can HAPPEN to anyone. It can happen the first time you get drunk. Hence, the term "Drink Responsibly". Of course, you must bear responsibility for your actions as you decided to get drunk and I do believe you should bear all consequences of it, but in no way I think the public view of it is justified. Since, it can HAPPEN to ANYONE.

Anyways, I think the real problem is people who are totally "cool" with driving drunk. That's actual INTENT to drive drunk. That's what sickens me.

I never understood the hatred towards DUI. DUI can happen to almost anyone. I know someone who wouldn't have never driven drunk, but ended up doing so without even remembering whatsoever.
I totally agree. I have been VERY drunk and although I have never driven while drunk I do remember having a couple glasses of wine with my mother one night, and then driving my elderly aunt home since she didnt like driving in the dark. When I got home I realized that although I was not tipsy, I might have blown over had I been caught.

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Since, it can HAPPEN to ANYONE.
Sorry, Jason, but this is absolute rubbish. I've never driven whilst over the limit, and never will do. How do I know this? Well, if I drive to the pub, say, I have some form of self control which means that I will either drink soft drinks, a few beers, or get a taxi home. I think it's outrageous to excuse people who drink drive, and say that it can "happen to anyone" who gets drunk. Are you saying that people, when drunk, don't know the difference between right and wrong? If so, then you might as well be saying that you can go and murder someone, and wake up in the morning as if nothing has happened. This doesn't happen: there has to be something in your subconscious that says "it's ok to murder someone" since your subconscious will not get deleted when you are drunk.

I just don't buy that. If one thinks drink driving is ok, then one is more likely to do it when drunk. If one feels, like I do, that drink driving is totally unacceptable, then there is no chance that one will do it. Oh, and there's another solution if you feel you don't have any self control: take public transport to the bar, and leave your car at home.

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Sorry, Jason, but this is absolute rubbish. I've never driven whilst over the limit, and never will do. How do I know this? Well, if I drive to the pub, say, I have some form of self control which means that I will either drink soft drinks, a few beers, or get a taxi home. I think it's outrageous to excuse people who drink drive, and say that it can "happen to anyone" who gets drunk. Are you saying that people, when drunk, don't know the difference between right and wrong? If so, then you might as well be saying that you can go and murder someone, and wake up in the morning as if nothing has happened. This doesn't happen: there has to be something in your subconscious that says "it's ok to murder someone" since your subconscious will not get deleted when you are drunk.

I just don't buy that. If one thinks drink driving is ok, then one is more likely to do it when drunk. If one feels, like I do, that drink driving is totally unacceptable, then there is no chance that one will do it. Oh, and there's another solution if you feel you don't have any self control: take public transport to the bar, and leave your car at home.
Read my whole post.

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Read my whole post.
The take-home point of your post, which I read in its entirety, is that it can happen to anyone. I am saying that is incorrect.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Sometimes you can go out, park your car downtown and go out drinking (with the idea to cab it home). If you drank far too much, who knows what you're going to do next... literally. If someone keeps insisting that they wouldn't drive drunk in this scenario, they have never been very drunk (puking does not imply extremely drunk). You can't give your keys to a friend because they are also there to get drunk and cab it home.

I guess the idea is to avoid getting drunk to the point of being capable of making irrational idiotic decisions, but it DOES happen and can HAPPEN to anyone. It can happen the first time you get drunk. Hence, the term "Drink Responsibly". Of course, you must bear responsibility for your actions as you decided to get drunk and I do believe you should bear all consequences of it, but in no way I think the public view of it is justified. Since, it can HAPPEN to ANYONE.

Anyways, I think the real problem is people who are totally "cool" with driving drunk. That's actual INTENT to drive drunk. That's what sickens me.
For any individual, I'd say the bolded part is the important part. A person can have to live a long time with the consequences of things they did or had happen to them when they were drunk. The DUI part is just because now that person's willingness to destroy any capability of making decisions has just started to carry over and impact random people on the road.

All that stuff about having a designated driver to carry you home after you've gotten totally trashed is just a lesser evil, which is why I don't have a lot of sympathy for someone who gets a DUI, beats their wife because they were drunk and didn't know what they were doing, or injures someone in a drunken brawl.

That isn't exactly the same as hating someone who gets a DUI. In fact, I paid for my son's lawyer and I hope he doesn't wind up with criminal misdemeanor on his permanent record. It does kind of irk me that I'm paying someone to get him out of consequences I'd wish on a stranger, so I make up for it by taking a lot of pleasure in his having to rent an interlock device that never seems to work right in cold damp weather. I think it's going to be a long winter. :rofl:

The take-home point of your post, which I read in its entirety, is that it can happen to anyone. I am saying that is incorrect.
A better point may be that it happens alot more than you may think. Most of the people I met going through this were only barely over and didn't realize that they would pop on a breathalizer test. They figured they were fine to drive. One woman was there because she had a glass of wine while on prescription meds and another was a three year sober AA member who was busted for driving while on her prescription medication.
Just because a person has a DUI doesn't mean that they drove absolutely pissed and were a real danger to anyone. Some of the people I met weren't even driving. Two were sleeping it off in thier car and were busted because the keys were in the ignition.

I have constantly sweaty palms, and try to wipe them on the back of my pants or on my shirt before I shake someone's hand, it never works and usually ends up with the victim having to wipe their hands on the back of their pants or on their shirt after the shaking is done.

I got a lump in my throat and my eyes got a little misty while watching the final scenes of strictly ballroom, when the dad starts clapping for his son. (at school, during film study).

I wrote a valentine's poem in school (about the same age as the strictly ballroom, actually) that won the best poem of the grade, but I had signed it anonymous (we could if we wanted) because it was pretty soppy and I didn't want people to know it was me. Only problem was, I couldn't really get the prestige from a winning poem, for the same reason.

I've done a lot of embarrassing things under the influence of alcohol (that very few people know about), especially in my younger days, but I won't share those as I'm not very proud of them and feel more stupid than embarrassed actually.

I thought a cousin of mine was pretty hot for quite a while.

I drive a French car. :wink:

Last edited:
I thought a cousin of mine was pretty hot for quite a while.

I drive a French car. :wink:
that's okay, I frenched my cousin in a hot car

I have a hot cousin and we both had a thing for each other. We got over it before we found out we are not actually blood related at all.

1: I cant feel my body sometimes and think "WTF?" And then i look at my hand it looks so alien and disgusting and I think that if you look at ears and fingers and everything individually people look like squirmy evil aliens.

2. No depth perception sometimes.

3. I screwed up in High school and am going to a crappy college for one more year before I transfer out

4. I dont love my family

5. I have extreme anxiety around people, some times. Not all the times. I just remember this one time I was on the subway and I was paranoid for like 40 minutes straight and wouldn't look anyone in the eye. Then when I got off, I laughed at myself.

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
5. I have extreme anxiety around people, some times. Not all the times. I just remember this one time I was on the subway and I was paranoid for like 40 minutes straight and wouldn't look anyone in the eye. Then when I got off, I laughed at myself.
I would get that under control.

I would get that under control.
lol, the vision problems and total paralysis are no big deal, but better work on that anxiety.

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The state of mind is more important.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2. No depth perception sometimes.
Have you had your eyes checked by an opthamologist? They may not be the same strength.

You can usually get by during the day because your brain can fill in the depth based on experience. At night when trying to judge a curve in the road? Forget it - especially when you're tired. I always knew it was time to pull and over and rest when I started slowing down on the curves on the interstate. Normally, you can pretty much drive on faith that the curves on interstates won't be to sharp for the speed limit. When I got too tired, it would become harder to believe that.

Getting glasses helped my night driving a lot. I could see in real 3-D instead of just constructing a 3-D world in my head.

Have you had your eyes checked by an opthamologist? They may not be the same strength.

You can usually get by during the day because your brain can fill in the depth based on experience. At night when trying to judge a curve in the road? Forget it - especially when you're tired.
Actually I know for a fact that they arent the same strength. One is like -1.7 and the other is -2.0. And I tried wearing glasses for two years but I constantly got headaches and it was overall just a bad experience. Then I went to this eye training facility in India, that teaches people how to adjust their eyes through exercise. Two of my cousins got rid of their glasses that way and thats what I am trying right now.