Biggest things you hate about work

My two office cats have decided they own the place.

You are my cat, not my spouse/parent/master. You do not dictate how I live my private life nor are you entitled to demand feeding unless I choose to feed you. Outside of the office, you are not my supervisor, you are just another cat, just like the other cat; behave as such.

Protecting my rights and defending myself correctly is not insubordination but common sense. I will not allow unfair treatment towards me just because you, the cat, think that you are my master and I am an indentured slave.
+1 Internet for you! :tongue2:

How does one deal with a clash of culture at work? Currently I work for a Chinese company (in the US) and most of my co-workers are Chinese. During lunch some of the guys I work with routinely hack and spit out phlegm and loogies (for lack of a better word) into the kitchen sink in the cafeteria while I eat. They also rinse their mouths out and spit into the sink after eating. None of the other Chinese co-workers seem to see anything wrong with it. But really come on, do you really have to spit all over the place every single day where we all wash our dishes and prepare our food? I'm thinking about saying something, because I find it highly annoying to sit there while eating and have listen and watch it happen everyday, but as I am usually the only person there who isn't from China, I know i'd probably be simply ignored, argued with, or maybe even fired.

I try to make it a game to be as efficient as I can possibly be, and sometimes I amaze myself. But others don't necessarily notice, and I don't like it if I get the feeling that such efforts go unappreciated (whomever they are from), or that others take advantage of it. Simple politeness goes a long way here. I also don't like it when I am asked to do more than I can. But all in all, I have found ways to deal with these issues, and enjoy my job very much overall. It's important to me to have a lot of freedom, and to get the opportunity to show that I can get the job done without having someone over my shoulder all the time. I also like to finish a job before being given a new one, but I understand that customer orders have random nature.

One thing I noted though is that the level of education is only a factor in what sums up to be trust. Your (OP's) boss makes his decisions based on what he considers to be the most reliable information. Level of education, experience, years, body language, personal relations all come into play when your boss makes a decision based on the information he receives from you and from other sources. So indeed, between trusting the new guy and trusting his own boss or usual counselors, the new guy is at a disadvantage. The new guy is still somewhere between an unknown and a reliable old colleague. It's not something to hate, it's something to understand.

Danger, it's always nice to have you around here.

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
3) Deriving my money from it.
It makes me feel like a salaried slave, rather than as a gentleman of independent means. :smile:

russ_watters
Mentor
Out dated equipment would be number one on my list.
That's the only real bad thing about my office (though it is starting to change). I had a to raise a big stink to get one of my guys a new montior - it had a big blurry spot about 6" in diameter right in the middle. It was barely readable, but he'd been using it like that for a long time.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
and outdated software, which results in incompatibility with clients, or interferes with fulfilling obligations. :rolleyes:

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
At my work we have an instrument hooked up to a dot matrix printer :redface: :redface: :redface:. I keep it under a piece of plastic when it's not in use, so visitors won't see it. Oh the shame.