Third order linear ODE Wolfram Math. problem

• Thread starter dperkovic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear Ode
In summary, the conversation discussed a problem with a homogenous ODE and the steps taken to solve it using substitution. The resulting characteristic polynomial had one real root and one pair of complex roots, leading to the general solution of the ODE. However, there was a difference between the solution obtained through manual calculation and the solution given by the Wolfram Mathematica program. This was because Mathematica uses a general form of the solution to solve the specific problem, resulting in "complicated" constants. The final explanation given was that the constants were a result of the general form of the solution, with specific values for a and b.
dperkovic
I have a problem with this homogenous ODE:
[tex]
\frac{d^3x}{dt^3} + 2\frac{dx}{dt} = 0$
[/tex]

With substitution [tex] x=e^\lambda t[/tex], I got characteristic polinom: [tex]\lambda^3+2\lambda=0[/tex].
So,
[tex]\lambda_1 = 0[/tex], [tex]\lambda_{1,2} = \pm\sqrt{2}i[/tex]

Because we have one real,and one pair of complex roots of characteristic polinom, general solution of ODE is:

[tex]x(t) =C1e^{0\cdot t} + C2\cos(\sqrt{2}t) +C3\sin(\sqrt{2}t)[/tex],
or:
[tex]x(t) =C1 + C2\cos(\sqrt{2}t) +C3\sin(\sqrt{2}t)[/tex]

But, Wolfram Mathematica's command DSolve[x'''[t] + 2*x'[t] == 0, x[t], t],give to me this:

[tex]x(t) =C1 - \frac{C2\cos(\sqrt{2}t)}{\sqrt{2}} +\frac{C3\sin(\sqrt{2}t)}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex].

As we can see, there is difference between my and wolfram's solution. Why ?? Where is a mistake in my procedure ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no difference in the solutions, remember the constants of integration are arbitrary.

Thank's. I thought that. But still, I can't figure out why constants in Mathematica's solution is different than constants i my solution. From which algorithm comming this "complicated" constants ?

The Mathematica DSolve usually looks for general solutions that match your particular equation and then it uses the form of the general solution to solve your specific problem. Often the general solution has such "complicated" constants.

In this case the general form is probably something like:
[tex]a x'''(t)+b x'(t)=0[/tex]

Which has the general solution:
[tex]\frac{\text{C1} \sqrt{a} \sin \left(\frac{\sqrt{b}
t}{\sqrt{a}}\right)}{\sqrt{b}}-\frac{\text{C2} \sqrt{a} \cos
\left(\frac{\sqrt{b} t}{\sqrt{a}}\right)}{\sqrt{b}}+\text{C3}[/tex]

Which turns into exactly the expression you have above for a=1 and b=2

This is the explanation which I looking for :smile: :smile: :smile:. Thank you !

What is a third order linear ODE?

A third order linear ODE is a type of differential equation that involves a function, its derivatives up to the third order, and their respective coefficients. These equations can be solved using various methods, such as the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of variation of parameters.

How do I solve a third order linear ODE?

To solve a third order linear ODE, you can use techniques such as the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of variation of parameters. These methods involve finding a particular solution that satisfies the given equation and using it to find the general solution. You can also use software such as Wolfram Math to solve these equations numerically.

What is the role of initial conditions in solving a third order linear ODE?

Initial conditions, also known as boundary conditions, are values of the function and its derivatives at a specific point that are used to determine the unique solution to a third order linear ODE. These conditions are necessary because a third order linear ODE has a general solution that contains arbitrary constants, and the initial conditions help to determine their specific values.

Can I use Wolfram Math to solve any type of third order linear ODE?

Yes, Wolfram Math is a powerful software that can solve various types of third order linear ODEs. It has a built-in function called DSolve that can handle these equations and provide both analytical and numerical solutions. However, there may be some special cases or complex equations that may require additional manual steps to solve.

Are there any real-life applications of third order linear ODEs?

Yes, third order linear ODEs have various real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to model oscillatory systems, such as a mass-spring system, or to analyze the behavior of circuits in electronics. They are also commonly used in the study of population dynamics and growth models in economics.