This dog seems to want to sing, why?

• Thread starter student34
  • Start date
In summary, a young man with a dog was filming himself and his dog singing a song together. His dog seems to enjoy the song and participates in it. It is unknown why the dog was in a cage, but it is possible that he was house training or that the young man is a good pet owner.
student34

This is a video taken by my nephew and his dog. I was never sure I believed the other YouTube videos like this until I actually witnessed it.

We had a discussion about why the dog seemed to want to take part in the singing. Does anyone have any ideas?

Biology news on Phys.org
It even sounds like he is trying to talk sometimes.

student34 said:
It even sounds like he is trying to talk sometimes.

When I was very young, my grandpa had a boston terrier also that seemed to enjoy attempting to imitate words. These are an intelligent, energetic breed! I can't recall any particular words, but it amazed me at just how close the old dog could get to sounding as if he were really speaking (and singing)! Dogs are certainly personality animals and can associate sounds with meaning. Some have a unique sense of humor too! I think this has a lot to do with training and forming a bond with pet owners. The real reason his dog is singing is probably because he loves your nephew and wants to make him happy! :smile:

student34 said:

This is a video taken by my nephew and his dog. I was never sure I believed the other YouTube videos like this until I actually witnessed it.

We had a discussion about why the dog seemed to want to take part in the singing. Does anyone have any ideas?

I think jedishrfu 's link offers you a scientific explanation, and that you may probably need to teach your nephew to not encage his dog like so as such a low treatment to his own pet is clearly very rude.

Pepper Mint said:
I think jedishrfu 's link offers you a scientific explanation, and that you may probably need to teach your nephew to not encage his dog like so as such a low treatment to his own pet is clearly very rude.

Like I said, this is a very energetic breed. There could be many reasons that he was in a cage. Very young boston terriers can tear a home apart quickly and will jump/scratch/lick home visitors. My uncle also had one of these growing up and had to keep her in the bathroom when people would visit, especially when she was a puppy. I have also done this as a time-out treatment (much more humane than the beatings I received in childhood) with my cats. There was absolutely nothing in that young mans voice or way of speaking to his dog or environment shown in that video to make me believe that he is a bad pet owner. I say, that dog has a good life in comparison with what many people in the world endure. See: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/top-five-countries-highest-rates-child-prostitution-1435448

1. Why does this dog seem to want to sing?

It is likely that the dog has learned to associate singing with a positive response from its owners. Dogs are also known for mimicking their owners' behaviors, so it is possible that the dog has learned to "sing" along with its owner.

2. Can dogs actually sing?

In a technical sense, no. Dogs do not have vocal cords or the same vocal range as humans. However, they can learn to howl or make other noises that could be considered singing.

3. Is this behavior normal for dogs?

Not all dogs will "sing," but it is not uncommon for them to mimic their owners' behaviors or try to communicate through vocalizations. Some breeds, such as Huskies and Beagles, are more vocal than others.

4. How can I encourage my dog to sing?

You can try playing music or singing with your dog to see if it will join in. Positive reinforcement, such as giving treats or praise, may also encourage the behavior.

5. Can this behavior be a sign of a medical issue?

In most cases, no. However, if your dog suddenly starts singing or making unusual noises, it is always a good idea to consult with a veterinarian to rule out any potential health concerns.