Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does anyone here have a Shiba Inu?

1. Jan 27, 2013 #1
    I've decided to bring a dog into my family. I have always wanted a pomeranian because of their cuteness, but upon researching breeds I have totally fallen in love with the Shiba Inu. I have never owned a dog before, but many of my relatives have dogs and I've taken care of dogs many times before. I have been doing a lot of research into what dogs need etc., but of course still have many questions.

Does anyone here have a Shiba Inu? If so, can you tell me a little about your experience with him/her? I would like to know more about their temperament with people, children, and other dogs, training issues, and energy levels. I also wonder about nutrition. Many people in my family usually cook for their dogs and don't buy prepackaged food--but the ones who do this do not have this breed. Will the vet be able to assist me in working out the needs of the dog in regards to nutrition as I also intend to cook for the dog?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2013 #2
    Shiba Inu

I had a friend with a shiba. They are spunky independent dogs. Very cute but not always have that loyalty because of their independence.

4. Jan 27, 2013 #3

I like Serena

Homework Helper

5. Jan 27, 2013 #4
    Re: Shiba Inu

Thanks Greg :) Some of the information I was reading detailed that the independence can also lead to dominance issues and if any aggression is shown to anyone within the household "strict discipline" needs to be given. This is a major drawback for me because I do not know how to give strict discipline to a dog...nor do i want to really. Do you know if your friend had any issues with this? There are several obedience schools around here, I don't mind going if it is needed.

6. Jan 27, 2013 #5
  7. Jan 27, 2013 #6

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Huh? It exists for me...

8. Jan 27, 2013 #7

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Here's another...

9. Jan 27, 2013 #8

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww <3 That is so cute ILS!

10. Jan 27, 2013 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Look into Japanese Chin, they are bred to be companion dogs and have the sweetest dispositions.

My dog, The Fruit Bat, was a Japanese Chin.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2597&d=1109379723.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=2595&d=1109379643.jpg

Also, they do what is known as "The Chin Spin"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCBpy4vNOlg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  11. Jan 27, 2013 #10

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

just my opinion:

i know some dog breeders. It is not an industry that i would support.
    I hope you find one in a shelter that needs a home.

Having now outlived several family dogs , "pound puppy" is the breed for me.

12. Jan 27, 2013 #11

Evo

Yes, you can find many abandoned pure breeds in shelters. I won't pay the price breeders want.

Also, for many breeds, there are "rescue" societies that take the dogs from shelters and place them in foster homes until they are adopted.

13. Jan 27, 2013 #12
    I love golden retrievers but I am very biased :tongue2:

My family had two pomeranian when I was born. They were good and that might also tell that they are good with kids!

14. Jan 27, 2013 #13
    Fruitbat! Those eyes just say it all. How big are they as adults?
    Thanks Jim. I actually visited the local pound and several websites but I did not feel the "click" with any of them. There is one black pomeranian that I saw on Craigslist that I would totally take home, but I have heard that they are not good with young children and I have one in the home.
    Yes the shiba inu puppies I was looking at are a little over my budget but I am willing to wait and save if I have to. They are so cute!
    Really rootx? I heard that they are prone to bite small children. Maybe I can get 2 dogs :D

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  15. Jan 27, 2013 #14

Evo

They're very small 9-11 pounds as adults. My cat was bigger than he was.

16. Jan 27, 2013 #15
    They weren't my favorite and were annoying but I don't recall ever getting bitten by them. It might have been because we were living in a very open space. Maybe dogs get agitated and bite when you lock them in small room space :uhh:

A small dog like Evo's might be a good choice if you don't have enough space IMO.

17. Jan 27, 2013 #16

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Evo - we agree on something ?
    Thanks. I'll cherish this day !

old jim

18. Jan 28, 2013 #17
    I think I might have found my new babe. There is someone who needs to sell her shiba inu. He is three years old, well trained (even obeys commands) and is good with kids, other people and other dogs. I am probably going to meet him on Friday to check out his temperament and see how well we get along, and then I may just have a new doggie to show you all :D He is a red shiba inu and looks similar to the dog in this pic
    http://all-puppies.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/shiba-inu-puppies-pictures.jpg The only difference is he needs to be groomed so his fur is a little more thick and his face is somehow sweeter lol

19. Jan 29, 2013 #18

Evo

Awww, very nice Helixe, I hope you get him!

20. Jan 29, 2013 #19

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sweeter than that - nice! Congrats!

Why is she selling him?

21. Jan 29, 2013 #20
    Thanks Evo!
    Thanks lisab :)
    I asked her the same question. She is very recently divorced and now a single mom and is moving back to where her family is. I think she said her son has special needs and she feels she cannot properly maintain him (the dog) financially in her circumstances.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook