1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

This Fourier Transfer Function properties?.

1. Aug 1, 2015 #1
    Hi Everyone. I want to know what do you think about this Transfer function:

[itex] T(\omega) = \frac{e^{i\omega\tau}}{1-\rho e^{i2\omega\tau}} [/itex]

If[itex]\tau[/itex] is Real, this function is "good and pretty"(?), because it has a "nice" representation in time with its inverse transform: a delay plus a series of deltas displaced in time in [itex]n\tau[/itex] times [itex]\rho^n[/itex].
    But the question is: What about if [itex]\tau[/itex] is Complex?? Is there a magical property that i'm missing to deal with this?

Sorry if i was mistaken on the election of the Forum. I don't know if this question may be in "Physics" because [itex] T(\omega) [/itex] is the Fabry-Perot Transfer Function, or in Engineering. And sorry for my English.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The simplest case of a FP resonator is that when the medium in between the mirrors is just vacuum, in that case ##\tau## is a constant with respect to frequency. By invoking that ##\tau## be complex (which physically means the intermediate medium is absorbing), this implies that this quantity must also be a function of frequency - there is no occurrence in reality where the index of refraction contained in ##\tau## is a constant complex number as this would violate Kramers-Kronig relation. Furthermore, there is no closed form of the dependence of refractive index on frequency as this is medium specific, so if ##\tau## is complex which also means ##\tau## is frequency dependent, the inverse FT of ##T(\omega)## won't be as nice as it is for free space case and I believe its analytical expression does not exist.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook