Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

This picture first made me laugh then think

1. Aug 22, 2009 #1
    http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/3503/philosoraptor7.png [Broken]

thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2009 #2
    It's the Philosoraptor.

4. Aug 22, 2009 #3
    Though strictly speaking, that is a picture of a Deinonychus!

5. Aug 22, 2009 #4
    I see that if the world were deterministic then there could be no free will. I don't see why a probabalistic world prevents free will. Can you explain?

6. Aug 22, 2009 #5
    It doesn't...proof: "www.ams.org/notices/200902/rtx090200226p.pdf"[/URL]

7. Aug 22, 2009 #6

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is "free will" exclusive from "predetermination"? If so, and if probabilistic behavior preclude a deterministic outcome, then yes.

Edit: Seems that's what Jimmy just said.

Either way, you could argue that free will is an illusion.

8. Aug 22, 2009 #7
    It also made me think, maybe dinosaurs disappeared after finding out the answer to this question.

9. Aug 22, 2009 #8
    Why? You're going to have to define free will before you make that assertion. Also, as a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compatibilism_and_incompatibilism" [Broken], I probably already reject your assertion.

This thread is headed for the Philosophy forums.

10. Aug 22, 2009 #9
    You are contributing to that.
    Glad to hear you hold your own beliefs, but that's not even philosophy. Just belief.

11. Aug 22, 2009 #10
    Well, there is a physics explanation (which I linked), but apparently nobody cares about that.

12. Aug 22, 2009 #11
    http://www.reformergent.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/jesus_and_dinosaurs_52.jpg [Broken]

13. Aug 22, 2009 #12

ideasrule

Homework Helper

[/URL]

It disturbs the hell out of me that this is from a child's coloring book. Considering what other lies and dirty tactics creationists use, though, I guess I can't complain much.

14. Aug 22, 2009 #13
    [/URL]

That's some really good coloring though... I like how the artist added a halo to Jesus.

15. Aug 22, 2009 #14
    Hence why I said it.

Do you know what philosophy is?

16. Aug 22, 2009 #15

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think it's very rational to make a snap judgment of the source of the image based off one's prejudice against a group of people. Better to do a little searching first.

It appears to be a satirical piece by artist Derek Chatwood.

http://www.poprelics.com/

17. Aug 22, 2009 #16

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think a kid colored it though. A kid wouldn't have dribbled coffee all over the page.

18. Aug 22, 2009 #17

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Who needs an actual answer to the question?

19. Aug 22, 2009 #18
    "The love of knowledge/wisdom/science" as in φιλοσοφία or "philo" and "sophia".
    My pick would be :
    google 2 : the rational investigation of questions about existence and knowledge and ethics
    which you decided to hide

20. Aug 22, 2009 #19
    No, I skipped 2 and quoted the definitions of philosophy which directly had the keyword 'belief' in them. If not posting a definition is "hiding" that definition, then you hid results 4 to infinity from me.

EDIT: Further, even if I was hiding a definition, I gave you two other perfectly valid ones. You don't have to like them, but by them and every other definition of philosophy within this context compatibilism is a philosophy.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  21. Aug 22, 2009 #20

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Definition of philosophy - "a search for a general understanding of values and reality by chiefly speculative rather than observational means"

Merriam Webster online

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook