Thomson, Modern Particle Physics, Problem 6.7

In summary, the conversation is about obtaining the values of 2(ms, 0, 0, 0) and -2(ms, 0, 0, 0) for the RL and LR helicities in the electron currents using helicity combinations. The solutions for other helicities (RR, LL) are provided, but the method for obtaining these values for RL and LR is unclear. The issue was resolved by using the normalization constant ##\sqrt{E+m}## in the calculation. However, the link provided to the problem is not available.
blankvin
In Mark Thomson's Modern Particle Physics, Problem 6.7, I am wondering how we obtain:

2(ms, 0, 0, 0) and -2(ms, 0, 0, 0)

for the RL and LR helicities (likewise for the muon) in the electron currents using helicity combinations. My solutions for the other helicities (RR, LL) work out, but I am not sure how these are obtained for the other helicities (RL, LR). I get (0, 0, 0, 0).

The problem can be viewed here:

https://books.google.ca/books?id=HamyAAAAQBAJ&pg=PA158&lpg=PA158&dq=thomson+modern+particle+physics+6.7&source=bl&ots=u1jyTvgEmV&sig=UAbiPqkke8SYZ_1NmsgPIInjR-c&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDwQ6AEwBWoVChMIgYXBtNuxyAIVRB0-Ch17zwD1#v=onepage&q=thomson modern particle physics 6.7&f=false

Thanks,
blankvin.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was considering the ultra-relatistic regime (E>>m), so abandoned the mass term in my calculation. Using the normalization constant ##\sqrt{E+m}## fixed my problem.Cheers,
blankvin.

It looks like your link goes to a page that's not available. Could you type the question out or something instead?

1. What is the topic of "Thomson, Modern Particle Physics, Problem 6.7"?

The topic of "Thomson, Modern Particle Physics, Problem 6.7" is particle physics, specifically a problem related to the properties of particles and their interactions.

2. What is the main objective of Problem 6.7?

The main objective of Problem 6.7 is to apply the principles of particle physics, such as conservation laws and particle interactions, to solve a specific problem and determine the properties of the particles involved.

3. What are some key concepts related to Problem 6.7?

Some key concepts related to Problem 6.7 include conservation of energy and momentum, particle interactions (such as scattering and decay), and properties of particles (such as mass and charge).

4. What is the format of "Thomson, Modern Particle Physics, Problem 6.7"?

The format of "Thomson, Modern Particle Physics, Problem 6.7" is likely a written problem with given information and specific questions to be answered, similar to a textbook or homework assignment.

5. How can I use "Thomson, Modern Particle Physics, Problem 6.7" to improve my understanding of particle physics?

Working through "Thomson, Modern Particle Physics, Problem 6.7" and understanding the concepts and techniques used to solve it can help improve your understanding of particle physics, as it allows you to apply these concepts in a practical and problem-solving context.