Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thomson, Modern Particle Physics, Problem 6.7

1. Oct 7, 2015 #1
    In Mark Thomson's Modern Particle Physics, Problem 6.7, I am wondering how we obtain:

2(ms, 0, 0, 0) and -2(ms, 0, 0, 0)

for the RL and LR helicities (likewise for the muon) in the electron currents using helicity combinations. My solutions for the other helicities (RR, LL) work out, but I am not sure how these are obtained for the other helicities (RL, LR). I get (0, 0, 0, 0).

The problem can be viewed here:

https://books.google.ca/books?id=HamyAAAAQBAJ&pg=PA158&lpg=PA158&dq=thomson+modern+particle+physics+6.7&source=bl&ots=u1jyTvgEmV&sig=UAbiPqkke8SYZ_1NmsgPIInjR-c&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDwQ6AEwBWoVChMIgYXBtNuxyAIVRB0-Ch17zwD1#v=onepage&q=thomson modern particle physics 6.7&f=false

Thanks,
    blankvin.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2015 #2
    I was considering the ultra-relatistic regime (E>>m), so abandoned the mass term in my calculation. Using the normalization constant ##\sqrt{E+m}## fixed my problem.

Cheers,
    blankvin.

4. Oct 8, 2015 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

It looks like your link goes to a page that's not available. Could you type the question out or something instead?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook