Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thoughts on genetically modified organisms/crops

1. May 22, 2010 #1
    I'm doing a paper on this topic. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts on genetically modified organisms/crops. If you could, please answer the following questions:

1. How often do you have corns or soybeans or cotton seed oil or foods containing these ingredients (such as corn cereal, corn chips, cake/pancake mix, granola bars, taco, veggie burger/regular burger, tortilla chips, hotdogs)?

2. Have you had gastrointestinal or cardiac problems?

3. Do you know if you have family history of gastrointestinal or cardiac problems?

4. If your favourite foods have "genetically modified" labels on them, would you still purchase them?

5. What is your thought on genetically modified food?

I know some questions might be sensitive, but this would really important and help me a lot.
    Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2010 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think this questionnaire is appropriate, why do you need to know people's medical problems if you want to find out their opinion on GM organisms/crops.

4. May 22, 2010 #3
    Some researchers have done experiments on laboratory animals feeding them solely GM crops; the animals seemed to have GI tract and cardiac symptoms. Of course, there would be other people arguing this was flawed because the laboratory animals lack other nutritions.

Because I propose to do a comparison studies between people eating mainly GM crops and those who don't eat the crops as often, I thought of doing a survey or questionnaire based on the results of previous studies...

If anyone has suggestions, I'm open...

Thanks for the help.

5. May 23, 2010 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sorry, but this is not how you do research. This is why there are so many useless association studies that contradict each other in their conclusions. In order to do a proper study you at least need to take into consideration all the known variables that could lead to GI tract/cardiac symptoms, you also at least need to accurately document the variable that you are trying to evaluate an association of. You simply cannot make a trivial questionnaire and think you will get reliable data out of it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook