1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three Disks Coupled by Two Belts

1. Mar 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The figure below shows three rotating, uniform disks that are coupled by belts. One belt runs around the rims of disks A and C. Another belt runs around a central hub on disk A and the rim of disk B. The belts move smoothly without slippage on the rims and hub. Disk A has radius R; its hub has radius 0.6000R; disk B has radius 0.2000R; and disk C has radius 1.500R. Disks B and C have the same density (mass per unit volume) and thickness. What is the ratio of the magnitude of the angular momentum of disk C to that of disk B?
    L(C)/L(B)=?
    Image: http://www.webassign.net/hrw/W0249-N.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    L=mvr=Iw (w is angular speed)
    I(disk)=(mr^2)/2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Honestly I have no clue how to even start this...
    I think that the density will somehow give me mass to plug into equation for I, which can then be plugged into L. But I don't know how to get w or v and without those I don't know how to get L.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2014 #2
    Could the w's for each disk all be directly proportional to one another?

I think you are right about the density.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted