1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three forces simultaneously acting on an object

1. Oct 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Forces of 10.5 N north, 19.3 N east, and 15.4 N south are simultaneously applied to a 3.81 kg mass as it rests on an air table. What is the magnitude of its acceleration?

2. Relevant equations

F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well I got the resultant force for the y direction to be 4.9N South. And from here I have no idea what to do, I started drawing triangles of the forces and just placing diagonal lines just so i can connect them, while knowing I cant mathematically do that.

Thanks for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Using the relevant equation, find ay along North-south direction.
    Similarly find ax.
    ax and ay are perpendicular to each other. So find the resultant a.

4. Oct 26, 2009 #3
    would I use the force of gravity as a part of the ay force? So it would be 15.4 + (force gravity) - 10.5?

5. Oct 26, 2009 #4
    I wouldn't think you would use gravity. This problem is looking acceleration in the plane (N/S & E/W).

You should just use the forces and mass the give you:

[tex]
    \left(\frac{ \sum F_{N,S}}{m}\right)^2+\left(\frac{\sum F_{E,W}}{m}\right)^2=a^2
    [/tex]

and make sure you keep you signs correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook