Three Important Questions (about black holes and the Big Bang)

In summary, a wormhole can only exist inside of a black hole, and it would be very unlikely for one to form between two ordinary black holes.
P_Ravensorow
I have always wondered various questions, out of which these 3 below are on the priority list including a previous topic I questioned here ofcourse without any answer to it. I am no science guy by the way, just curious!

So the questions are:
1. Can a black hole contain a wormhole inside of it?
2. This is probably absurd, but do dimentions like 1D(point), 2D(line), 3D(sphere, cone) and so on has something to do with the single point (1D) from which the Big Bang happened, to the space expansion (3D), to time (4D) and so on...??
3. Please Explain if this Picture , that I made yesterday makes any sense.

Thanks for your time and bearing through all this stupid questions that I make!

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
P_Ravensorow said:
We cannot know. A wormhole is only hypothesized.
2. This is probably absurd, but do dimentions like 1D(point), 2D(line), 3D(sphere, cone) and so on has something to do with the single point (1D) from which the Big Bang happened, to the space expansion (3D), to time (4D) and so on...??
A point is 0D, et cetera.

It is point,line,plane,space,time 0-4 dimensions. (you left out plane)

It would be more accurate in the picture for hot bang/ cold crunch at the intersection in infinite vector spaces.

P_Ravensorow said:

I don't believe so, but I"m not sure.

No, if nothing else because the big bang was not a single 0d point (points are 0d, lines are 1d). It happened throughout all of space at the same time.

There is no relation between the symbol for infinity and your picture. None at all. Our symbol for infinity could have been nothing like a sideways figure 8 had things been different.

P_Ravensorow said:
It's not a correct statement (even apart from the dimensionality of lines and points). BB did not happen as a 0D point. The dimensionality of the universe did not change throughout its history. If it's an infinite (possibly) 4D space-time now, it was so always, and BB happened in all of its 3D volume at some time in the past.
The picture {2} seems to be aiming to show a "big crunch"* evolution, yet it is labeled heat death. Heat death is what you get if you let the universe expand forever until all the energy is evenly spread out as heat, and there is no more left to do any work - so, no more stars, radioactivity etc.
And no, I wouldn't get hung on the shape of the infinity symbol. The "etymology" of the infinity symbol is unclear, but possibly relates to the shape of the number 1000 in roman numerals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_numerals#Large_numbers) or the lower case Greek omega letter. Both having been often used to mean "many" "a whole lot" "a gazillion" etc. As such, it is completely arbitrary a choice, and to look for physical meaning it is a bit too much on the numerological side.

*big crunch was a hypothesis that is by now thought to not represent reality, as recent observations of universe geometry by PLANCK and WMAP satellites point strongly to a flat universe.

P_Ravensorow said:

To get a deep answer to this question you should learn about Hawking's information paradox and entanglement, and look up the work of Leonard Susskind, Juan Maldecena, Joe Polchinsky, et al. First thing to notice is that the current understanding of a wormhole is that it could only be formed by two entangled black holes. Such an event is almost inconceivably unlikely but can't be ruled out. It is a special "two sided" black hole. You have a spacetime-like geometry connecting two regions of space whose boundaries on either side are event horizons out from which not even light can escape. The wormhole is a macroscopic Einstein-Rosen bringe. This means that if Alice jumps in one end and Bob the other, assuming they can survive the fall, they can meet in the center - but in no accepted models can anyone, not even light, go beyond any event horizon once they've past it.

Thus one answer to your question is that a wormhole can *only* exist inside a black hole. Another answer might depend on your meaning, whether you're asking for instance if another entangled black hole pair can form within the event horizon of a larger black hole. I wouldn't be surprised if there were formal answers but 'm not sure what work has been done on the question. Alternately, there are speculations that this universe is indeed already on the inside of an event horizon or "other side" of a singularity, which if true, and there are indeed wormholes in this universe, then the answer to your question would be yes.

Last edited:
Likes Doug Huffman
165+ Susskind lectures streamed. He is a wonderful lecturer!

Hey, thanks for all the replies. For the first question, I think we may never find a definite answer as we will not be able to research on a black hole!
The second question was indeed a wrong type of question. As for the third, thanks for explaining it. I will definitely read about the Hawking's paradox and entanglement.
Hey thanks Doug, I will watch that video rightaway.
I have further more questions about the birth of quarks, negative energy etc, but I shall only do so if you guys at PF permit me to ask all these overwhelming questions.
For now, I have just these two questions I need to get some clue about!
1. Someone once told me that we can find pores, crevices and holes on every surface, if we observe it microscopically. So, If time was a physical dimension would we find pores and holes on it too, could they represent wormholes or portals to different places?
2. Does anyone believe on the Paleocontact Hypothesis?
Sorry for all these questions on a serious science forum, but I didn't know whom to ask!
Thanks for all the replies!

P_Ravensorow said:
[ ... ]For now, I have just these two questions I need to get some clue about!
1. Someone once told me that we can find pores, crevices and holes on every surface, if we observe it microscopically. So, If time was a physical dimension would we find pores and holes on it too, could they represent wormholes or portals to different places?
Time is NOT space-like.
2. Does anyone believe on the Paleocontact Hypothesis?
I do not.

P_Ravensorow said:

The ring singularity in a rotating black hole can be described as a throat to a wormhole (see attached image) with r=0 at the edge of the ring singularity and r being negative within (i.e. new space) but this is within the inner (Cauchy) horizon which is in itself hypothetical. You would also probably need a white hole to exit of which there is no evidence of existing. See also 'The Kerr Antiverse' on this page.

Image from 'The Large Scale Structure of Spacetime' by Hawking and Ellis

Attachments

• RingSing.gif
    RingSing.gif
    45.3 KB · Views: 883
What occurred before big bang...big crunch ? May be in fact a cyclic condensing and expansion...It seems logical ...however quantum mechanics shows how wrong our common sense of logic actually is...lol

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region of space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape. It is created when a massive star dies and its core collapses under its own gravity.

2. How do we know black holes exist?

We know black holes exist based on their effects on surrounding matter and light. For example, we can observe the gravitational influence of a black hole on nearby stars and gas. We can also detect X-rays and other radiation emitted from matter falling into a black hole.

3. Can anything escape from a black hole?

Once anything, including light, crosses the event horizon of a black hole, it cannot escape. However, some theories suggest that information may be able to escape from a black hole in the form of Hawking radiation, but this has not been confirmed.

4. How do black holes grow?

Black holes can grow by consuming matter and merging with other black holes. As matter falls into a black hole, it adds to its mass and increases its gravitational pull. When two black holes merge, they create a larger, more massive black hole.

5. What was the Big Bang?

The Big Bang is a theory that explains the origin and expansion of the universe. It states that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, and has been expanding and cooling ever since. This event is estimated to have occurred around 13.8 billion years ago.