1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three spin-1/2 particles

1. Jun 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the energies for a 3 spin-1/2 particles with the Hamiltonean:
    [tex]H=\frac{E_0}{\hbar^2}(\vec{S_1}.\vec{S_3}+\vec{S_2}.\vec{S_3})[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

From the Clebsh-Gordon table one gets all the spin functions:
    [tex]|\frac{3}{2},\frac{3}{2}>...|\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}>...|\frac{3}{2},-\frac{3}{2}>[/tex] (6 states in total)

So, to get the matrix elements for the Hamiltonian I tried developing the dot product so I could work directly with the operators i.e.:

[tex]\vec{S_1}.\vec{S_3}=S_{1x}S_{3x}+S_{1y}S_{3y}+S_{1z}S_{3z}[/tex]

Now the problem is that the states as they are defined represent only one particle and the spin operators act on each particle individually and there's no CG table for a 1/2x1/2x1/2 spin addition.

What's the best way to approach this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Hint: You can write the Hamiltonian as
    $$\hat{H} = \frac{E_0}{\hbar^2}(\vec{S}_1+\vec{S}_2)\cdot\vec{S}_3.$$

4. Jun 8, 2012 #3
    Yes but my question is how do these operators act on these states? The basis I'm using only shows the m numbers of two particles because I've already summed the spins of the first two...

5. Jun 8, 2012 #4
    The usual trick here is to write

[itex]S_{1}\cdot S_{2}=\frac{1}{2}((S_1+S_2)^2-S_1^2-S_2^2)[/itex]

Those operators you DO know how they act.

[itex]S_i^2\mid s,m\rangle = s(s+1)\mid s,m\rangle=\frac{3}{4}\mid s,m\rangle[/itex]

The same goes for [itex](S_1+S_2)^2[/itex], since you now its possible values from Clebsch-Gordan coefficients

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  6. Dec 6, 2012 #5
    Sorry to revive this thread but I am also trying to work out 3 spin 1/2 particle addition and this comment confused me. How can you find [itex](S_1+S_2)^2[/itex] in the |S,m> basis using C.G. coefficients when S represents the total spin [itex]S_1+S_2+S_3[/itex]?

7. Dec 6, 2012 #6
    I think I partly answered my own question: I guess you can treat [itex](S_1+S_2) + S_3[/itex] as an addition of two spin systems? If that is the case then [itex](S_1+S_2)^2|S,m>=h^2(S_1+S_2)(S_1+S_2+1)|S,m>[/itex]. But then how do we treat [itex]S_1[/itex] and [itex]S_2[/itex]? And I don't seem to need any C.G. coefficients using this method?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  8. Dec 6, 2012 #7

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can plow through it by using the 8 "product states" as basis states:

##|+++\rangle\equiv |\uparrow\rangle_1|\uparrow\rangle_2|\uparrow \rangle_3 ##

##|-++\rangle\equiv |\downarrow\rangle_1|\uparrow\rangle_2|\uparrow \rangle_3 ##

etc. where ##|\uparrow\rangle_1## is spin up along z for particle 1.

Find the matrix representation of H in this basis and then find the eigenvalues of H. It's not too tedius. Most matrix elements are zero and H will be in block diagonal form. Not very elegant, but it works.

9. Dec 6, 2012 #8
    I agree that is probably the most straight forward way of going about this, I wanted to try to avoid explicit construction of the Hamiltonian in matrix form though with the hopes of possibly being able to generalize the process. Any hints on the route I was working on the previous post?

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook