Through how many unit cubes does PQ pass?

• Thread starter Huszar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unit
In summary, the conversation is about someone asking for help with the last four questions of an assignment. They are looking for someone to provide the solutions and answers for the questions. The questions involve prime numbers, perfect squares, and arrays. The person also mentions that the solutions provided by the previous poster were not clear enough for them and they are looking for further explanation.
Huszar
I would be much obliged if someone could help me answer the last 4 questions of an assignment I had to do. If you could type out the solution and answer, I would be grateful. I’ just stuck. It is essential however that you type out the solution (and answer of course) so that I can see/learn what you did.

1. The product of five different odd prime numbers is a five digit number of the form strst, where r = 0 The number of such five digit numbers is:

A) 4 B) 6 C) 8 D) 14 E) 10

2. At one time, the number of employees in a company was a perfect square. Later, with an increase of 100 employees, the number of employees was one more than a perfect square. Now with an additional increase of 100 employees, the total number is again a perfect square. The original number of employees was a multiple of:

A) 5 B) 7 C) 9 D) 11 E) 13

3. In a square array with 10 rows and 10 columns, the element in the m th row and n th column is given by the product (2m-1)(3n-1). The sum of all the elements in the array is between:

A) 7500 and 10 000 B) 10 000 and 12 500 C) 12 500 and 15 000 D) 15 000 and 17 500 E) 17 500 and 20 000

4. Unit cubes (1 x 1 x 1) form a solid rectangular block measuring 20x25x15. Consider the line segment PQ (See attachment visualize.bmp). Through how many unit cubes does PQ pass?

A) 50 B) 58 C) 60 D) 66 E) 70

Attachments

• visualize.bmp
    22.3 KB · Views: 536
Mathematics news on Phys.org
1) Suppose [tex]p_1, \ldots, p_5[/tex] are all different, odd primes such that [tex]p_1p_2p_3p_4p_5 = strst[/tex]. Write "strst" = t + 10s + 100 * (0) + 1000t + 10000s, and simplify.

2) Suppose the number of employees is n from the beginning. We have

n = a^2,
n + 100 = b^2 + 1,
n + 200 = c^2

for some natural numbers a, b, c. You want to look at the second and third equations.

3) This can be worked out explicitely (it's an arithmetic series). What is the sum of all elements in row m? Sum that over all rows.

4) Is PQ supposed to be the actual line segment between P and Q, or the red stuff you've drawn on the picture?

Last edited:
Muzza said:
1) Suppose [tex]p_1, \ldots, p_5[/tex] are all different, odd primes such that [tex]p_1p_2p_3p_4p_5 = strst[/tex]. Write "strst" = t + 10s + 100 * (0) + 1000t + 10000s, and simplify.

2) Suppose the number of employees is n from the beginning. We have

n = a^2,
n + 100 = b^2 + 1,
n + 200 = c^2

for some natural numbers a, b, c. You want to look at the second and third equations.

3) This can be worked out explicitely (it's an arithmetic series). What is the sum of all elements in row m? Sum that over all rows.

4) Is PQ supposed to be the actual line segment between P and Q, or the red stuff you've drawn on the picture?

Thanks for the reply.

No, just PQ. I got the picture off google, as I just needed one of a cube. Disregard the red outlining. I didn't quite understand your solution to #1.

Any more replies welcome, and if anyone can work out the answers, again, I'd be grateful.

hi i have the exact same questions to answer...no joke, what a coincidence...could anyone answer these/go into more detail? I'm terribly short on time and terribly confused...thanks for looking, helping, anytihng

No one is going to do your homework for you. Go to the homework help section.

of course not! it's just one of those things where even though you're given a clue, you mull it over for a day but for some reason nothing's clicking. I'm trying to see if someone can help to explain what the previous poster said (granted it's a bit dated), and help me to get this ball rolling

Again, no one is going to do the homework for you. If you need help or further explanation or require some of the steps to be worked through with you, that is different and perfectly understandable.

Head on over to the homework help section, homie!

1. How do you determine the number of unit cubes that a line segment passes through?

The number of unit cubes that a line segment passes through can be determined by counting the number of unit cubes that are intersected by the line segment. This can be done by visualizing the line segment and counting the cubes, or by using a formula such as the distance formula in 3-dimensional space.

2. Can a line segment pass through a fraction of a unit cube?

No, a line segment can only pass through whole unit cubes. If a line segment intersects a cube, it is counted as a whole cube, even if it only passes through a small portion of it.

3. Does the orientation of the line segment affect the number of unit cubes it passes through?

Yes, the orientation of the line segment can affect the number of unit cubes it passes through. For example, a line segment that is perpendicular to the edges of the cubes will pass through more cubes than a line segment that is parallel to the edges.

4. What is the significance of determining the number of unit cubes a line segment passes through?

Determining the number of unit cubes a line segment passes through can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications. It can help in calculating volume, surface area, and other geometric properties of objects. It can also be used in computer graphics and simulations.

5. Is it possible for a line segment to not pass through any unit cubes?

Yes, it is possible for a line segment to not pass through any unit cubes. This can occur if the line segment is parallel to the edges of all the cubes, or if the line segment is outside of the region where the cubes are located.